The Buddha and Occupy Wall Street

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
suriyopama

Re: The Buddha and Occupy Wall Street

Post by suriyopama »

I think that this relevant video has not been mentioned here. I will post it, in the case that someone is interested.

Venerable Bhikkhu Bodhi: "A Buddhist Perspective on Occupy Wall Street"

Part One:

Part Two:
chownah

Post by chownah »

Much earlier in this thread I posted, "I'm hoping this movement can accomplish some of the rhetorical goals that have been bandied about in their name but I am not going to bet on it. I wonder if there is an Occupy Wallstreet branch demonstration in Somalia?.....remember Somalia and those starving people?....I think many have already forgotten because the demonstrations have Occupied their minds......"

So, did some wonderful societal goals get achieved?.....did anything result from this? I can't think of anything that appreciably moved toward the good but maybe I missed it so anyone knowing what progress was made please report it here. Isn't inequality even greater today than it was during the occupations? What is Occupying the minds of all those demonstrators today.....I'll bet the demonstrating postal workers are concerned with the cold weather.....not the 1%.
chownah
manas

Post by manas »

chownah wrote: So, did some wonderful societal goals get achieved?.....did anything result from this? I can't think of anything that appreciably moved toward the good but maybe I missed it so anyone knowing what progress was made please report it here. Isn't inequality even greater today than it was during the occupations? What is Occupying the minds of all those demonstrators today.....I'll bet the demonstrating postal workers are concerned with the cold weather.....not the 1%.
chownah
Hi chownah,

nothing's changed as far as I can see. The status quo's grip on power was never under threat. Inequality continues to rise. Same old story.

kind regards
manas
:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.