Why isnt intoxicantes good?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
villkorkarma

Why isnt intoxicantes good?

Post by villkorkarma »

Why isnt intoxicantes good? And what Is a intoxicant? :hello: Some buddhistmonks says Its not wrong. so we dont know or do we know? I do become tired of snuff so its good for me according to S N Goenka, that also said that It isnt good to stop with a conditioning if you cant deal with it. :anjali:
one suffer because one hasnt existed long : )
cooran

Re: Why isnt intoxicantes good?

Post by cooran »

Hello V.,

This article about Intoxicants and why they are bad for a lay Buddhist may be of interest:

http://buddhasadvice.wordpress.com/intoxicants/

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
culaavuso

Post by culaavuso »

There is a relevant quote in AN8.39
AN8.39: Abhisanda Sutta wrote: Furthermore, abandoning the use of intoxicants, the disciple of the noble ones abstains from taking intoxicants. In doing so, he gives freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, freedom from oppression to limitless numbers of beings. In giving freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, freedom from oppression to limitless numbers of beings, he gains a share in limitless freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, and freedom from oppression. This is the fifth gift, the fifth great gift — original, long-standing, traditional, ancient, unadulterated, unadulterated from the beginning — that is not open to suspicion, will never be open to suspicion, and is unfaulted by knowledgeable contemplatives & brahmans. And this is the eighth reward of merit, reward of skillfulness, nourishment of happiness, celestial, resulting in happiness, leading to heaven, leading to what is desirable, pleasurable, & appealing; to welfare & to happiness.
The term translated here as "intoxicants" is in pali "surāme­raya­majja­pamā­daṭṭhānā". The last part of this word, "pamā­daṭṭhānā" gives us an idea of the reason why: they are substances that are a cause of "pamā­da", or heedlessness. The path taught by the Buddha, the Noble Eightfold Path, has the Deathless as its goal. As the Dhammapada tells us, this requires heedfulness, the exact opposite of what intoxicants create.

Dhp II
Dhp II wrote: Heedfulness: the path to the Deathless.
Heedlessness: the path to death.
For a full essay on the importance of heedfulness in the practice, you can read The Practice in a Word by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

From a lay practice perspective, it can be informative to read DN31
DN31: Sigolavada Sutta wrote: "There are, young householder, these six evil consequences in indulging in intoxicants which cause infatuation and heedlessness:

(i) loss of wealth,
(ii) increase of quarrels,
(iii) susceptibility to disease,
(iv) earning an evil reputation,
(v) shameless exposure of body,
(vi) weakening of intellect.
Last edited by culaavuso on Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

I dont agree Iam aware of my actions and so on, I am not cruel to any person. you still can higher improve your awareness by using snuff. :heart: Maybe not to the ultimate goal, but that would be wierd strange.
StandBright

Post by StandBright »

villkorkarma wrote:And what Is a intoxicant?
This particular question is interesting. The sutta clearly states that alcohol is an intoxicant, but it is clearly not the only one. The modern definition of "drugs" is not the same as "intoxicants" because of drugs like caffiene.

This inspires an additional question: Why is caffiene not an intoxicant? It alters one's mind and it is addictive.
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

How to deal with the problem of using snuff?
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

I must say that snuff is much better then alcohol, its really not heavy karma.
Last edited by villkorkarma on Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello V.,

We discussed snuff in this thread:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19363

Please keep it there.

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

Drink alcohol, but dont rape anyone.
binocular

Post by binocular »

villkorkarma wrote:I dont agree Iam aware of my actions and so on, I am not cruel to any person. you still can higher improve your awareness by using snuff.
Well, you can do an experiment: Take up a physical skill and measure how well you perform on it when using snuff, and when you don't.

Doing, say, fine needle work while high can result in rather mediocre production, in comparison to what one can accomplish while sober.

I do advise against experimenting with pyhsical skills that involve sharp objects and heavy machinery.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

It depends how good iaim feeling. hehe, but maybe a good meditator buddhist doesnt need to use snuff? :juggling: