Hi

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Sati1

Hi

Post by Sati1 »

Hi,

I wanted to introduce myself, since I've enjoyed very much reading posts here on Dhamma Wheel and posting a few questions. I came to mindfulness as a practice method a year ago when a friend mentioned John Kabat Zinn. After meditating by his method for a few weeks and discovering the power of meditation, I started researching the topic online and happened to come across many articles published on Buddhist websites (buddhanet, access to insight, etc). I had no idea how much the training of the mind has been cultivated by Buddhists for over 2000 years! After that, I bought a bunch of books (Buddhism plain and simple, Everyday Zen), learned about the Dhamma, got Bhikkhu Boddhi's wonderful anthology of the Canon (which I now resort to almost daily), got more and more into meditation, and now I can say that I am well on the Path, ready for another year of tremendous growth. Most of my resolutions for the new year involve some elements of the Path, such as taking on the 5 Precepts, giving more, cultivating a mind of compassion, capturing insights and journaling about them, improving my meditation posture, etc. I would also like to attend a few retreats and get involved with a community here in the UK (I live in north London). Of the various branches of Buddhism, I have decided to practice the Theravada approach, having briefly tested Tibetan Buddhism and Korean Zen. I also happen to find tremendous inspiration in the powerful Pali suttas.

I'm excited to be on Dhamma Wheel and look forward to many fascinating discussions!

:anjali:
Sati1

----
"I do not perceive even one other thing, o monks, that when developed and cultivated entails such great happiness as the mind" (AN 1.30, transl. Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi)
"So this spiritual life, monks, does not have gain, honor, and renown for its benefit, or the attainment of moral discipline for its benefit, or the attainment of concentration for its benefit, or knowledge and vision for its benefit. But it is this unshakable liberation of mind that is the goal of this spiritual life, its heartwood, and its end," (MN 29, transl. Ven Bhikkhu Bodhi)
cooran

Re: Hi

Post by cooran »

Welcome Satti1! :group: Sounds like you have made a good start. :smile:

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Welcome!

:hello:

Mike
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Welcome, Satti1!

You sound like a mature and disciplined person and I'm glad you're here!

Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Welcome Satt1! Every good blessing to you!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

:toast:
Taijitu

Post by Taijitu »

Hello! :hello:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/chat/
Unfettered at last, a traveling monk,
I pass the old Zen barrier.
Mine is a traceless stream-and-cloud life,
Of these mountains, which shall be my home?
Manan (1591-1654)
Sati1

Post by Sati1 »

Thank you all for your replies and sorry for answering so late (I thought there would be email reminders to replies).

It feels great to belong to this friendly and lively community :rofl: :twothumbsup:
Sati1

----
"I do not perceive even one other thing, o monks, that when developed and cultivated entails such great happiness as the mind" (AN 1.30, transl. Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi)
"So this spiritual life, monks, does not have gain, honor, and renown for its benefit, or the attainment of moral discipline for its benefit, or the attainment of concentration for its benefit, or knowledge and vision for its benefit. But it is this unshakable liberation of mind that is the goal of this spiritual life, its heartwood, and its end," (MN 29, transl. Ven Bhikkhu Bodhi)
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Sati1,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."