Rare x-mas eve space walk?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
chownah

Rare x-mas eve space walk?

Post by chownah »

The news keeps talking about a 'rare' x-mas eve space walk at the space station. This is the second space walk that occurred on x-mas eve. My question is on which day of the year did the most space walks occur and how many occurred on that day? I haven't been able to find this on the net.
chownah
Buckwheat

Re: Rare x-mas eve space walk?

Post by Buckwheat »

No idea. However, it looks like the "rare" spacewalk you are referring to is spacewalk #365 for NASA (or maybe all nations). It seems any date that has two spacewalks can not be considered rare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sp ... spacewalks
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
chownah

Re: Rare x-mas eve space walk?

Post by chownah »

Buckwheat,
Thanks for the link. I found a different list which didn't number the walks.

In fact walks #180 and #181 were each partly on Xmas eve so that makes THREE space walks on Xmas eve! If there have only been 365 space walks in total then the only thing rare about a Xmas eve space walk is that there are so many of them! I'll bet there are not very many days of the year which hosted three space walks.

I guess they really should have been talking about the commonly occurring Xmas eve space walk.....although three times in about 30 years doesn't really seem like deserving of the term 'common'.

If rarity is in the eye of the beholder then I think that whoever is writing those articles is cross eyed.......with apologies to those who are eye-direction challenged.
Sincerely,
chownah