masturbation what's wrong?

Some topics tend to get heated and go off track in unwholesome ways quite quickly. The "hot topics" sub-forum is a place where such topics may be moved so that each post must be manually approved by moderator before it will become visible to members.

Re: masturbation what's wrong?

Postby Dhammabodhi » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:39 pm

Hi, sorry if I'm going off-topic a little here, but I have a question regarding sexual fantasies in dreams and involuntary nocturnal emissions. I'd like to know what Buddhist scriptures have said about this(if at all) for someone who is completely abstaining from the point of view of ethics and Sila, but the thing I'm more interested to know is how do monks(or anyone else who's keeping the relevant precepts) deal with it and whether there are techniques to reduce or eradicate this problem?

Generalizing the above, what about dreams with one being violent or with other unwholesome actions? Again, sorry for being :offtopic:

Thanks in advance,
Dhammabodhi
-Samāhitam cittam yathābhutam pajānāti.

समाहितं चित्तं यथाभूतं पजानाती |

A concentrated mind sees things as they really are.

-Ujuko nāma so maggo, abhayā nāma sā disā.

उजुको नाम सो माग्गो, अभया नाम सा दिसा |

'Straight' is this path, fearlessness is its way.
Dhammabodhi

Postby Individual » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:50 pm

Dhammabodhi wrote:Hi, sorry if I'm going off-topic a little here, but I have a question regarding sexual fantasies in dreams and involuntary nocturnal emissions. I'd like to know what Buddhist scriptures have said about this(if at all) for someone who is completely abstaining from the point of view of ethics and Sila, but the thing I'm more interested to know is how do monks(or anyone else who's keeping the relevant precepts) deal with it and whether there are techniques to reduce or eradicate this problem?

I don't believe scriptures explicitly describe sexual fantasies or nocturnal emissions. Points-of-view are based on commentaries, which derive various implications from the suttas. I believe that traditional Theravada commentaries regard sexual fantasies in dreams and nocturnal emissions as a mildly unwholesome action that ceases to occur for an Arahant, whose mind is fully purified. Eradicating sub-conscious sexual fantasies, though, among a layperson is not a reasonable goal.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Postby kc2dpt » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:47 pm

tiltbillings wrote:His take on lay sexuality in general leave something to be desired

Pun intended?
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
kc2dpt

Postby kc2dpt » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:48 pm

Dhammabodhi wrote:I have a question regarding sexual fantasies in dreams and involuntary nocturnal emissions. I'd like to know what Buddhist scriptures have said about this(if at all) for someone who is completely abstaining from the point of view of ethics and Sila

I seem to recall there are rules in the Vinaya concerning this.
- Peter

kc2dpt

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:49 pm

Peter wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:His take on lay sexuality in general leave something to be desired

Pun intended?

Of course.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby kc2dpt » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:51 pm

44 posts and 3 days later and the OP hasn't come by to clarify their question. Glad I didn't waste time with it. Sorry to see you fine folks getting yourselves tied in knots over what you think they might have been asking. :(
- Peter

kc2dpt

Postby Dhammakid » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:16 am

I see that happening quite often on discussion boards. Oh well, nothing wrong with a good conversation.

:anjali:
Dhammakid
Dhammakid

Postby Ben » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:23 am

Hi Peter
Peter wrote:44 posts and 3 days later and the OP hasn't come by to clarify their question. Glad I didn't waste time with it. Sorry to see you fine folks getting yourselves tied in knots over what you think they might have been asking. :(

No knots tied or untied!
Kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby BlackBird » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:48 am

Here's the facts:

- Masturbation is built upon Sensual desire. Good luck having a beat while considering how best to mow the lawn and hang out the washing.
- Sensual desire is a hinderance to practise.
- Kamma-Vipaka has it that a volitional action in the present will have an effect in the future. This is how habits are formed.

Nobody is going to burn in hell for having a beat, nor for having appropriate sexual relations with their partner - But it doesn't lead to Nibbana. Sensual desire is a hinderance.

"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:10 am

BlackBird wrote:- Sensual desire is a hinderance to practise.

It may be a hindrance, but that does not mean it has to hinder anything.
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby puthujjana » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:02 am

Dhammabodhi wrote:Hi, sorry if I'm going off-topic a little here, but I have a question regarding sexual fantasies in dreams and involuntary nocturnal emissions. I'd like to know what Buddhist scriptures have said about this(if at all) for someone who is completely abstaining from the point of view of ethics and Sila, but the thing I'm more interested to know is how do monks(or anyone else who's keeping the relevant precepts) deal with it and whether there are techniques to reduce or eradicate this problem?

Hi Dhammabodhi,

this is the first Saṅghādisesa rule:
Intentional emission of semen, except while dreaming, entails initial and subsequent meetings of the Community.

You can read Thanissaro Bhikkhu's explanation of it in chapter five of Buddhist Monastic Code I: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... .ch05.html

"Once you understand anatta, then the burden of life is gone. You’ll be at peace with the world. When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness and we can truly be happy."
- Ajahn Chah
puthujjana

Postby Macavity » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:20 am

tiltbillings wrote:
BlackBird wrote:- Sensual desire is a hinderance to practise.

It may be a hindrance, but that does not mean it has to hinder anything.

That doesn't sound right to me. If it's a hindrance then surely by definition it must hinder something. In the Nivaranasutta, SN. v. 97, the Buddha says of the five hindrances that they are "Makers of blindness, causing lack of vision, causing lack of knowledge, detrimental to wisdom, tending to vexation, leading away from Nibbana."

I take this to mean that hindering is an intrinsic property of the hindrances. 'Makers of blindness' is what the hindrances actually are, not something they might be. 'Leading away from Nibbana' is what the hindrances actually do, not something they might do.

How do you understand the passage?
Macavity

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:33 am

What is the nature of a hindrance?
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby cooran » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:43 am

Exactly what do you mean by "nature"?

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:44 am

sabhava.
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby Macavity » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:54 am

tiltbillings wrote:What is the nature of a hindrance?

In the case of sensual desire, the first hindrance, its characteristic is to grasp an object belonging to the sensual sphere, its function is to adhere to that object like meat to a hot pan, its manifestation is not relinquishing its object, its proximate cause is the improper attention that sees the enjoyment but not the peril in sense-sphere pleasures.
Macavity

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:55 am

Is a hindrance an unchanging thing?
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby Macavity » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:56 am

If you mean the nature that is shared by all the hindrances, see the above quote from the Nivaranasutta.
Macavity

Postby Macavity » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:57 am

tiltbillings wrote:Is a hindrance an unchanging thing?

No. Like all condioned phenomena they arise, perform their function, and pass away.
Macavity

Postby Dhammabodhi » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:27 pm

Thanks to those who've replied to my query. :anjali:
Individual wrote: Eradicating sub-conscious sexual fantasies, though, among a layperson is not a reasonable goal.

I only meant eradication for those who keep the relevant precepts, i.e. monks and laity who decide to abstain completely from any sexual activity.
Surely for these people it would be quite a bother to have to "see", time and again, the temptations that they want to get away from(related question: is it possible to just "observe" dreams)?
That's why, like I said before, I'm interested to know how people deal with it in practical terms. Or whether it is true that these people(monks and lay celibates) could be plagued with sexuality and nocturnal emissions in dreams but they don't/can't do anything about it unless they become Arahants?

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread for my own questions.
Metta,
Dhammabodhi
-Samāhitam cittam yathābhutam pajānāti.

समाहितं चित्तं यथाभूतं पजानाती |

A concentrated mind sees things as they really are.

-Ujuko nāma so maggo, abhayā nāma sā disā.

उजुको नाम सो माग्गो, अभया नाम सा दिसा |

'Straight' is this path, fearlessness is its way.
Dhammabodhi

PreviousNext

Return to Open Dhamma Hot Topics