the great vegetarian debate

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Alex123

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Post by Alex123 »

binocular wrote:
Alex123 wrote:And what is fat composition of an adult brain? What do adult's cell need?
Well, the way I see it, you are placing more faith in Western scientists than you do in Buddhist teachings, and you're reaping the results of this faith ...
I go with science when it comes to objective world, and Buddha when it comes to teaching about dukkha and cessation of it.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Alex123 wrote:
Mkoll wrote:
Alex123 wrote:Study the composition of fats in mother's milk... It will show you what the nature intended us to consume.
The composition of mother's milk shows you what nature intends for infant human beings to consume who will triple in weight within a year.

Metta.
And what is fat composition of an adult brain? What do adult's cell need?
Yes, the brain is mostly made up of fat. The body can make fat from carbohydrates and carbohydrates provide glucose, the brain's fuel.

If you're talking about omega 3 EFAs, you can get these directly from algae supplements. Or your body can synthesize the omega 3 EFAs from ALA which is found abundantly in walnuts, flaxseeds, and chia seeds.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
binocular

Post by binocular »

Alex123 wrote:I go with science when it comes to objective world, and Buddha when it comes to teaching about dukkha and cessation of it.
And what is the result of splitting your allegiance like that?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

Mkoll wrote:Yes, the brain is mostly made up of fat.
Yes, and please tell me from which kind. :)
Mkoll wrote: The body can make fat from carbohydrates
:jawdrop:
Human body? Where did you find that?!!
Mkoll wrote: and carbohydrates provide glucose, the brain's fuel.
Right. But there is difference between providing fuel and material to rebuild the brain. Remember, every tissue in the body is regularly rebuilt.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Alex123 wrote:
Mkoll wrote:Yes, the brain is mostly made up of fat.
Yes, and please tell me from which kind. :)

Triacylglicerides and phospholipids.
Alex123 wrote:
Mkoll wrote: The body can make fat from carbohydrates
:jawdrop:
Human body? Where did you find that?!!
Glycolysis, pyruvate oxidation, the citric acid cycle, and oxidative phosphorylation make up cellular respiration. This is the process that mitochondria, the "power plants" of cells, use to generate energy. Glycolysis turns glucose (a simple sugar that your body can get from metabolizing carbohydrates) into pyruvate which is oxidized into Acetyl CoA which then goes to the citric acid cycle. That Acetyl CoA can also be used to make fatty acids.

"Lipogenesis is the process by which acetyl-CoA is converted to fatty acids. The former is an intermediate stage in metabolism of simple sugars, such as glucose, a source of energy of living organisms. Through lipogenesis and subsequent Triglyceride synthesis, the energy can be efficiently stored in the form of fats. Lipogenesis encompasses the process of fatty acid synthesis."
-wikipedia entry for 'lipogenesis'

The only fatty acids that humans need to actually ingest because our bodies can't synthesize them are the two kinds of essential fatty acids (EFAs): omega-6 (linoleic acid) and omega-3 (alpha-linolenic acid (ALA)). Both of these can be found abundantly in plant foods.
greenjuice

Post by greenjuice »

Afaik, it is the unsaturated (plant) fats that body uses to rebuild cell membranes, whereas saturated fats are used for energy (or stored for such later use if there are enough carbs ingested).

Also, "essential" means precisely that- the body can'make it so it an essential part of diet, goes for both fatty and amino acids.
nekete

Post by nekete »

Anyone wanting to go on vegetarianism should read a little about the amount of calories he/she needs and how to divide it into carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins and minerals.

Be a vegetarian is not only to stop eating meat. You have to balance your diet without that meal/fish.

There are a lot of people who do a lot of sport, sport of competition like athleticism, like body building, like marathons and they are vegetarian and even vegan. All of this is very easy to find in a simple search on Internet.
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

What I'd like to say is to do what works for you. If vegetarianism does, then follow it. However, I don't think that it is right to force it on everywhere.
binocular

Post by binocular »

Alex123 wrote:What I'd like to say is to do what works for you. If vegetarianism does, then follow it. However, I don't think that it is right to force it on everywhere.
Who is forcing it?
And why should that person be obeyed?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

I think its just Alex's conscience talking!!
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

The Buddha ate meat

Life feeds of life

Buddha didn't enforce vegetarianism

Puzzle solved :woohoo:
“The teacher willed that this world appear to me
as impermanent, unstable, insubstantial.
Mind, let me leap into the victor’s teaching,
carry me over the great flood, so hard to pass.”
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

clw_uk wrote:The Buddha ate meat

Life feeds of life

Buddha didn't enforce vegetarianism

Puzzle solved :woohoo:
Seemingly true, but at the same time the Buddha made strict rules that made it much harder to eat meat and eat a lot of meat, so obviously the buddha was absolutely not encouraging meat eating, otherwise he would have made no rules at all, since he made it much harder to acquire and eat as much meat, one has to assume that the buddha obviously believed it was better to eat less or no meat, for instance I can't possibly imagine the buddha complaining he wasn't getting enough meat, given that 95% of the buddha's recorded meal were evidently vegetarian, would that pro meat eating crowd could be so enlightened.
Last edited by lyndon taylor on Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

duplicate
Last edited by lyndon taylor on Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Seemingly true, but at the same time the Buddha made strict rules that made it much harder to eat meat and eat a lot of meat, so obviously the buddha was absolutely not encouraging meat eating, otherwise he would have made no rules at all, since he made it much harder to acquire and eat as much meat, one has to assume that the buddha obviously believed it was better to eat less or no meat, for instance I can't possibly imagine the buddha complaining he wasn't getting enough meat, would that pro meat eating crowd could be so enlightened.

Of course, the point is not killing and also not holding a deluded view that abstention from meat leads to nibbana
“The teacher willed that this world appear to me
as impermanent, unstable, insubstantial.
Mind, let me leap into the victor’s teaching,
carry me over the great flood, so hard to pass.”
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

clw_uk wrote: ....not holding a deluded view that abstention from meat leads to nibbana
:strawman:
Buddha save me from new-agers!