Ajahn Sujato and Marriage Equality

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
boris

Ajahn Sujato and Marriage Equality

Postby boris » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:07 am

The man who wants to avoid grotesque collapses should not look for anything to fulfill him in space and time.

Nicolás Gómez Dávila

James the Giant

Re: Ajahn Sujato and Marriage Equality

Postby James the Giant » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:13 am

Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.

Dhammanando

Postby Dhammanando » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:13 am

Mkoll

Postby Mkoll » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:34 am

Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

boris

Postby boris » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:06 am

The man who wants to avoid grotesque collapses should not look for anything to fulfill him in space and time.

Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Sokehi

Postby Sokehi » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:03 pm

Why the need to rally against other Humans that just want to be happy like you do - just in a way that doesn't suits your point of view on sexuality and obviously homosexuality doesn't necesarilly hurt anyone - the same as heterosexuality.

All religions and religious seekers are well advised to keep their minds out of other peoples beds.
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

James the Giant

Postby James the Giant » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:26 pm

Ugh, religious prejudice spews out onto my screen.
Very un-Buddhist.
Goodnight.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:57 pm

Do find that the following are akusala?

1- Homophobia;
2- Promoting homophobia, through the criticism of a monk's behaviour, perceived as akusala;
He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

Anagarika

Postby Anagarika » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:58 pm

Boris, Что вы говорите? I mention this as Boris may be Russian, and having known Russians (and like them and Russian culture very much) there is a cultural undercurrent of disdain for gays and lesbians. This may stem from the Russian Orthodox church's influence, and it may have to do with a "macho" sensibility among Russian men in general. It is still not quite safe to be gay in Russia, even in major cities.

My own view is that as Buddhism can be thought of as a fact and science based practice, we should understand that a certain percent of any population will be biologically, neurologically, and psychologically gay. Born that way, the same as with other genetic and behavioral traits. Science has shown that gay people did not choose to be gay, but were born that way.

Having accepted the science, as we should as followers/students of the original great scientist of the mind, we can conclude that to deny gay and lesbian people equal rights under the law and due process is an offense against nature and the law. Of course gay people enjoy relationships the same way as straight people do; sex for romance,pleasure, intimacy, marriage. It seems to me very unethical, and very un-Buddhist, to deny any person the right to live ethically and happily the way that nature and their psychology intended them to live.

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:36 pm

• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

boris

Postby boris » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:17 pm

Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Anagarika

Postby Anagarika » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:06 pm

dagon

Postby dagon » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:48 pm

Mkoll

Postby Mkoll » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:00 pm

boris

Postby boris » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:13 am

Nicolás Gómez Dávila

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:24 am

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:12 am

I wouldn't go so far as attack boris's character - for all that I know he is a kind and sincere practitioner. The trouble is with his view which seems to me to be based on his faith, and supported by the interpretation of the Suttas. The context here may be a distrust of change, of revolutions and a deep respect for tradition.

This is not necessarily good or bad. But a thinking person's duty is to examine carefully. Look at the biases and prejudices and check one's understanding constantly without pride, without clinging to views and avoiding hubris of dismissing views of Venerables and elders in the Dhamma while putting one's view above many others.

I've been guilty of the same, so I don't rush to judge you, boris, but to urge you to reflect.
_/|\_

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:26 am

Mkoll

Postby Mkoll » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:37 pm

Boris, the fact that you started this discussion is proof that you think it's important.

But is it really that important? Is it really worth clinging to this view of yours? Are you going to actually practice what you preach and join an anti-gay marriage group? Would that be a good use of your time? Whether it's right or wrong for society at large, is clinging to this view good for you and your practice?

In my view, it's not worth having strong views about what's wrong with society unless you actually practice what you preach. Otherwise you just waste time thinking about things you're not going to try to change anyways.

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:39 pm

He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

Return to “Sīla”