Can the Bhikkhuni Sangha be revived as per the Vinaya?

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Sokehi

Re: Can the Bhikkhuni Sangha be revived as per the Vinaya?

Post by Sokehi »

now realm wrote:An example is dinosaurs are extinct after many thousands of years in existence. Can then dinosours be revived? :-)
well that analogy shows that you are confusing a lineage with a living being. As far as I know women didn't die out a millenia ago. Plus there is no such thing like a mahayana lineage as been posted above. So there is nothing that died out, it apparently is still there.

I'm pro ordination of nuns, absolutely. But I see difficulties in the acceptance and that is an even more important topic than certain regulations. But to make acceptance happen, especially in the "classical" buddhist countries the procedures should not lack a percent of legitimacy. It is obvious that many scholars that are respected and knowledgeable still have disagreements about this.
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr
pilgrim

Re: Can the Bhikkhuni Sangha be revived as per the Vinaya?

Post by pilgrim »

now realm wrote:I also have no issue too with bhikkhuni ordination in the Theravada lineage that was established by the Buddha if there's solid & valid legitimate grounds. However, the original lineage is no more in existence according to the history in Theravada Buddhism. I also find that the dharmagupta is more of a Mahayana or other lineages than Theravada. Also, was it the Buddha's intention to establish a Bhikkhuni Order? If so, why did he object to his aunt's request three times resoundingly? He would have told Ven. Ananda that it was his intention & there was no need for garudhamma to be imposed in the order. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone can revive an extinct lineage. An example is dinosaurs are extinct after many thousands of years in existence. Can then dinosours be revived? Buddha said everything exists, become & die out. Pls ignore, if what I said here is wrong due to my own interpretation or view & my lack of knowledge on this issue. Be calm.. :-)
There is something perverse in the logic of using the rules of the order to cause its own extinction. Yes the Buddha established the bhikkhuni order. We do not know for certain why the Buddha declined initially. Only he knows that. But we know that the Buddha cannot be persuaded to do something against his own judgement. This has not happened anywhere in the suttas. Elsewhere in the Mahaparinibbana sutta, the Buddha proclaimed his intention to establish the four fold sangha and to see it flourish. The anology of the dinosaur makes no sense. A light that has been switched off can be switched on again. Impermanence works both ways, Things that exist may cease. Things that do not exist may come to be.