Did Buddha ask ask to worship him?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
MrLearner

Did Buddha ask ask to worship him?

Postby MrLearner » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:12 pm

Hello everyone,

Here are some questions I have about how people have reacted after Buddha's death

1. Did Buddha want us to make statues about him and worship him? I don't understand the point of doing this. I mean Buddha was indeed an admirable man, but I'm sure he wants us to help someone in need rather than worshipping his statues.

2. Is worshiping with flowers etc nessecary? Isn't it better helping someone else or doing some other good karma that actually has an effect on someone during this time.

3. Why do in some places small children are taken as monks. I mean you have to look no further than Buddha's life. He experienced all the pleasures in life and then understood it was meaningless and reached enlightenment. These small monks have not experienced these pleasures so how can they understand they are meaningless.

Having said all that. I understand that temples are necessary. It is a place for monks to recruit and find shelter and to continue on their efforts to find peace. Also for the longevity and spread of Buddhism temples are a good thing. Not saying they are entirely bad, but I like the answers for above questions. Thanks :smile:

Mkoll

Re: Did Buddha ask ask to worship him?

Postby Mkoll » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:55 pm

I don't remember the sutta but the Buddha said the best way to worship him was to practice the Dhamma. You practice the Dhamma to see the Dhamma and thus see the Buddha. In another sutta, the Buddha says (paraphrasing): whosoever sees the Dhamma sees me and whosoever sees me sees the Dhamma.

:candle:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:08 pm

Kamran

Postby Kamran » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:34 am

When the Buddha was close to death he said that he should not be worshiped, which is an indication that even during his lifetime people were starting to worship him. As with most ideologies, though, he was worshiped anyway...human habits are hard to break.

According to the below sutta, only yourself and the dhamma should be your refuge, not the Buddha.

"Monks, live with yourself as your island, yourself as your refuge, with nothing else as your refuge. Live with the Dhamma as your island, the Dhamma as your refuge, with nothing else as your refuge."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
"Silence gives answers"

Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi

mahat

Postby mahat » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:08 pm

pulga

Postby pulga » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:06 pm

Mohan Gnanathilake

Postby Mohan Gnanathilake » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:00 am

The Gautama Buddha never asked to worship him. One who pays respect to the Gautama Buddha with the right understanding does not have a confused idea of the Gautama Buddha in heaven who could see him or hear him. The statue of the Gautama Buddha reminds him of the virtues of the Gautama Buddha.
All thoughts begin in the mind, mind is supreme and mind-made are they. If one speaks or acts with impure mind pain follows him like the wheel the hoof of the ox.
(Dhammapada 1, Yamaka Vagga – The Twin Verses)

All thoughts begin in the mind, mind is supreme and mind –made are they. If one speaks or acts with pure mind happiness follows him like one’s shadow that never leaves.
(Dhammapada 2, Yamaka Vagga – The Twin Verses)

Mr.Mohan Barathi Gnanathilake
Permanent Address : No. 372 / 2 , Mahara Prison Road , Ragama, Sri Lanka.
Telephone No :+94 112957857
Email :[email protected]

2600htz

Postby 2600htz » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:51 pm

Hello:

A Buddha statue is a symbol, and u pay respects/admiration to that symbol as a sign of u recognizing what he did and represents.
If u are a boxer, u have a picture of Muhammad Ali in your locker. If u are a football player, u have a shirt of Messi. Its just the same thing.

Its something to be done to arouse energy and motivation for the practice, worshipping has a different connotation.

Regards.

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:56 am

• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Return to “Discovering Theravāda”