Really big

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
tiltbillings

Really big

Post by tiltbillings »

>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Really big

Post by Sam Vara »

Some really interesting structures there. My favourite is the huge solid stone Tang Dynasty Buddha. It has a real emotional charge.

It's good to see Buddhism beating even Soviet megalomania and nationalism into second place, but there is part of me that feels uneasy with this. It's a long way from Ajahn Chah saying that one's practice should emulate the humility of an earthworm...
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

Sam Vara wrote:It's a long way from Ajahn Chah saying that one's practice should emulate the humility of an earthworm...
It would be difficult to raise the funds to build a 400ft earthworm.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Beautiful statues. Interesting that most are Buddhist (Guan-yin or Buddha or Amitabha); not many super-large statues of Jesus apparently. Buildings and statues are an interest of mine. I like the architecture and art and if it inspires some to practice, it can be good. However, certainly a large structure for meditating would be more efficient use of funds, for example, Goenka-ji's large Global Vipassana Pagoda which can hold some 8,000 meditators.
reflection

Post by reflection »

This is funny considering the Buddha is supposed to have said to not make images of him, didn't he? :anjali:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

reflection wrote:This is funny considering the Buddha is supposed to have said to not make images of him, didn't he? :anjali:
I think that is a common misconception. I don't think the Buddha ever said that. The first representations of the Buddha-Dhamma were footprints or the Dhamma Wheel, but not due to any rule.

The closest thing and maybe the cause of the misconception is one story where a monk admired the Buddha so much and just liked watching him. The Buddha advised him to admire the Dhamma (or something like that) and to show admiration by practicing.