Pope Francis kisses a disfigured man

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Mr Man

Pope Francis kisses a disfigured man

Post by Mr Man »

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... igured-man

"His papacy already seems destined to be remembered as special – and yet this communicational triumph has not been achieved through carefully constructed PR techniques. It is not spin. Its methods are medieval and its magic is simple."*

*quoted from above article.
BlackBird

Re: Pope Francis kisses a disfigured man

Post by BlackBird »

I think the Catholics finally have a pope that embodies the teachings of Jesus Christ. I'm happy for them. Goodness knows his outward shows of humility and virtue can only be good for the world at large too, as many look up to the pope, hopefully they will take his example.

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
jonno

Post by jonno »

Jesus's teachings were all about love and compassion. The beatitudes embrace all the marks of a truly enlightened being. This pope seems to be embracing the true teachings of all enlightened masters including our own Buddha. We should be open to learn from all. May the powers that be allow him to continue. Jonno.
plwk

Post by plwk »

Right..nice but I am more interested on what is he gonna do in the case of the German Bishop of Bling...
That may let us know if it's not a spin than an editorial assumption...
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Maybe its my vestigial Catholicism but I really like this Pope. He really is a great example of loving-kindness which is precisely what is called for in the world today.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Feathers

Post by Feathers »

plwk wrote:Right..nice but I am more interested on what is he gonna do in the case of the German Bishop of Bling...
That may let us know if it's not a spin than an editorial assumption...
He has been suspended, and there is talk of turning his house into a soup kitchen or something of the sort for the homeless.

German 'Bishop of Bling's multi-million euro mansion to be used to serve needy
plwk

Post by plwk »

Ah yes, going after the head only but not the body and tail as well... great follow up but oh well, he's the boss... the earthly one that is...
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Khalil Bodhi wrote:Maybe its my vestigial Catholicism but I really like this Pope. He really is a great example of loving-kindness which is precisely what is called for in the world today.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]