Aussie seeks teacher

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Neela

Aussie seeks teacher

Post by Neela »

Hi there:)
I'm seeking a teacher/guide to help mentor and support me through my journey as I'm unable to attend a Theravada hermitage on a regular basis due to distance.
As a white aussie, i grew up with Christianity and my first introduction to buddhism was in 2011 when I attended 10 day Vipassana silent meditation retreat, in the hopes if it bringing me some instant magic cure to assist me with my anger and confusion as a newly single parent. I remember being freaked out by the chanting, thinking I was about to be converted!! :rofl:

Well since this retreat I have dabbled in many other spiritual paths, new age courses/classes etc and went through periods of being a 'serious meditator' to then back to my old destructive ways and habits.

There have been times when I've tried to 'Make myself become a buddhist' and read the teachings etc, but my heart has never been in it, mostly because I'd felt like I was betraying God/Jesus (even though Christianity wasn't something I was practising anyway).

Then, just a few days ago, something really beautiful happened, I stumbled across a YouTube documentary about the possibility that Jesus was a Buddhist. Somehow this made total sense to me and explained my own questions about the why there are no references in the Bible to Jesus' life as a child/teenager (because he was possibly in India studying Buddhism). I suddenly felt this wave of peace, love, gratitude for the Buddha that I'd never felt before and now wanted more than ever for Buddha to be my teacher also just as he was for my childhood teacher, Jesus.

I have spent the last few days setting up a small shrine/meditation area and meditating and reading all that I can. I find now that my heart has a pure dedicated faith to the Buddha and his teachings and ego doesn't get in the way of my prostrating or reading.

I would love to find someone to guide me along this path to help deepen my understandings and how it can help, not only myself but ultimately how I can be more loving and kind to others too.

Or perhaps this site will do just that without needing a specific person?!

Either way, looking forward to connecting and sharing :group:
dagon

Re: Aussie seeks teacher

Post by dagon »

Hi Neela

Greetings and welcome to DW

You may enjoy listening to this - warning he does have an interesting sense of humor
http://www.justbegood.net/Downloads/Aja ... 20Life.mp3

metta
paul
Neela

Post by Neela »

Thanks Paul :) I'll check it out ...
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Welcome :)

This forum is for asking questions so that all who read can bennefit. So you will probably not find individual guidance. You will find a collective wisdom. Sometimes weird, sometimes coming from the depths of the liberating truth.

May you be happy. :)
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Neela

Post by Neela »

Thanks Modus.Ponens:)

Aha Paul, yes the always funny and entertaining Ajahn Brahm:) I enjoy watching his YouTube videos.
Sanjay PS

Post by Sanjay PS »

Hello Neela,

If you have not yet done the Vipassana retreat as conducted by the Late Goenakaji , it will be worthwhile if you could try doing so .If you have already done the course , try making time to do a few more , one keeps learning all the time .

wwww.dhamma.org is the web site that mentions the centre closest to the area of your residence and the scheduled dates when the retreats are held .Dont worry about the chantings ( 6 to 6:30 a.m) , they are blessings of good will in the Pali language ( the language spoken by the Buddha ) .

Take care , its a wonderful , universal , result oriented path .

sanjay
The Path of Dhamma

The path of Dhamma is no picnic . It is a strenuous march steeply up the hill . If all the comrades desert you , Walk alone ! Walk alone ! with all the Thrill !!

U S.N. Goenka
dagon

Post by dagon »

Neela wrote:Thanks Modus.Ponens:)

Aha Paul, yes the always funny and entertaining Ajahn Brahm:) I enjoy watching his YouTube videos.
Don't forget to check out http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=148

metta
paul
Neela

Post by Neela »

Hi Sanjay,
Thanks, yes I did a 10 day course 2 years ago and am trying to juggle dates again to go along to another one soon. The chanting doesn't worry me now:) in fact, I enjoy chanting too and have downloaded Imee Ooi's music/chants to enjoy along with others.
Thanks for your help and advice:)
Neela

Post by Neela »

dagon wrote:
Neela wrote:Thanks Modus.Ponens:)

Don't forget to check out http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=148

metta
paul
Thanks For this link Paul. As I read through the recommendations, so many are familiar to me as I have been reading a lot on and off over the past 2 years. I obtained some books from a forest hermitage I visited a few times written by Ajan Chah and I have recently downloads an app for Access To Insight. Also have enjoyed reading Pema Chodron (although I know she's not Theravada) and Simple Kindness by Ajahn Candasiri. I guess what I have discovered is that no matter how much I've read and/or meditated, if my heart is not open then none of it matters or makes a difference. In the last few days though, my heart has softened and opened. Perhaps it was due to all of this reading beforehand. I feel now that I need to go and re read everything with this new insight. I've already noticed many positive, loving changes in myself in the last few days of how I treat myself and others with so much more loving kindness :heart:
dagon

Post by dagon »

I like to read this article every day - in part it tells
These four attitudes are said to be excellent or sublime because they are the right or ideal way of conduct towards living beings (sattesu samma patipatti). They provide, in fact, the answer to all situations arising from social contact. They are the great removers of tension, the great peace-makers in social conflict, and the great healers of wounds suffered in the struggle of existence. They level social barriers, build harmonious communities, awaken slumbering magnanimity long forgotten, revive joy and hope long abandoned, and promote human brotherhood against the forces of egotism.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el006.html

metta
paul
Neela

Post by Neela »

dagon wrote:I like to read this article every day - in part it tells
These four attitudes are said to be excellent or sublime because they are the right or ideal way of conduct towards living beings (sattesu samma patipatti). They provide, in fact, the answer to all situations arising from social contact. They are the great removers of tension, the great peace-makers in social conflict, and the great healers of wounds suffered in the struggle of existence. They level social barriers, build harmonious communities, awaken slumbering magnanimity long forgotten, revive joy and hope long abandoned, and promote human brotherhood against the forces of egotism.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el006.html

metta
paul
Thanks for this link Paul :thanks:

I want to read this more tomorrow and write my thoughts ....so much I want to say but sleep is calling ... :zzz:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

:popcorn:
Neela

Post by Neela »

David N. Snyder wrote:Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

:popcorn:
Thanks David and thank you so much for creating it!! :namaste: