Consciousness of Eye, little black pellet in centre...

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries
Pondera

Consciousness of Eye, little black pellet in centre...

Post by Pondera »

I'm hoping someone can confirm what Buddhaghosa writes about in Path of Purification describing the centre of eye-consciousness being a little black speck the size of a pin head. The speck is in the centre of the eye. Has anyone read this? Confirmed this?
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
robertk

Re: Consciousness of Eye, little black pellet in centre...

Post by robertk »

it is standard Dhamma . Note that eyeconsciousness is completely different from the rupa that is eyebase, although it can only arise at that place.

Do you think the eyebase could be somewhere else?
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

I'm a bit thrown off by your terminology. Well, if rupa is form and the eyebase is found in form, - yes. I believe the basis for the eye is the eyeball. And the basis for sight is external form. The condition for seeing is consciousness - or conscious contact between the basis for the eye and the external world. That would be my understanding. In regards to how one guards the senses, what is the proper method of approaching eye consciousness, given its proximity in the eye? Given the nature of its whereabouts in the eye? I would also have the same question for the other senses? Thank you.

Pondéra
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
robertk

Post by robertk »

love your questions. I am soo busy now but will get back to them before tomorrow I hope..
For now, let us say that UNDERSTANDING is the real way to guard the senses.
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Much appreciated.

Pondéra
Sowell11

Post by Sowell11 »

Nice post there are many person searching about that now they will find enough resources by your post. Thanks for sharing.