Hello from the UK:)

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
robdog

Hello from the UK:)

Post by robdog »

Hi, i have just joined and thought i would introduce myself :bow:

My name is Rob and i live in the UK. Im 37 and have had a troubled history mainly involving drink and drug abuse. Ive been serious addiction free now for nearly 3 years since i quit drinking though and finally managed to quit cannabis 3 months ago and i also quit tobacco at the same time so for the first time in many many years i am truly myself.

Ive been meditating for around 18 months but only the past 6 months or so have i taken it seriously, im also doing a lot of yoga these past 3 months or so and feel great for it.

I have always had a very very over active mind, my body has always been lazy but my mind has always more than made up for that. I still have problems with anxiety but after trying all sorts of medication both legal and illegal i have been drawn to Buddhism. I like to listen to talks by Ajahn Brahm and Thanissaro Bhikkhu, they make a lot of sense to me and i feel drawn to the ideas of Buddhism more so than i ever was drugs or drink. I just feel it in my bones that it is right for me and really want to dedicate myself to the path.

I have learned a few things off my own back but feel its time now to join a community of like minded people which i feel can only help me to get further along the path. I am still a beginner and im not looking for a quick fix, i want to put the work in and hopefully start to finally lead a peaceful life. I tend to be the sort of person who doesn't really sweat the big stuff in life but panic like mad about stupid silly things, this is what i want to change. I want to be at peace with myself and others and im hoping with work, time and the valuable advice im hoping to find on this forum i can at some point achieve my goal.

Sorry for the essay and thanks for having me :thumbsup:
cooran

Re: Hello from the UK:)

Post by cooran »

Welcome to DhammaWheel, Rob! :group:

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

:yingyang:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Rob and welcome to Dhammawheel!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..