getting my water from rice or pasta ?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
purple planet

getting my water from rice or pasta ?

Post by purple planet »

if i make rice with lots of water and i put it in the microwave with a lid on so that most of the water gets into the rice itself - is it considered as if i drank that water ?
PeterB

Re: getting my water from rice or pasta ?

Post by PeterB »

Very very little.
Why would you consider that anyway ?
Water drinking has become fetishised, but there is no reason not to drink pretty freely.
It is doubtful that under most conditions anyone needs to drink water all day and carry little bottles of it.
Four or five glasses a day plus tea and a little juice, non dairy plant milks etc is enough in most countries much of the year.
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

I am asking this cause i put water in my dog food and it absorbs it very well and also for me -

i mean i really put a lot of water when i make rice i think the amount of rice i eat can hold easily 1-2 liters of water
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

I think this is just basic physics. If you cook rice with water, any water that doesn't evaporate during the cooking or is strained off, will be in the rice. Where else would it go?

If you ingest that rice, you then ingest the water in it.

Probably best to not worry too much about it. Drink when you are thirsty, and drink a bit more if the weather is hot or you are exercising.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

The best way to gauge whether you are properly hydrated is not so much from intake..that has many variables..but from the colour of your urine. When hydrated your wee will be straw coloured or very light green.
Dark yellow/orange or dark green means you need to drink more non alcoholic fluids..preferably ones not loaded with sugar.
Ben

Post by Ben »

PeterB wrote:The best way to gauge whether you are properly hydrated is not so much from intake..that has many variables..but from the colour of your urine. When hydrated your wee will be straw coloured or very light green.
Dark yellow/orange or dark green means you need to drink more non alcoholic fluids..preferably ones not loaded with sugar.
Mine is currently a brilliant fluorescent yellow. But that is due to the vitamin supplements I am taking.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Actually thats true Ben, I have had the same experience.
And yet another brand we sometimes use which purports to have the same content has no effect on the colour of one's wee at all.. :shrug:
Beetroot and especially beetroot juice, can also have a dramatic effect.. :o
Ben

Post by Ben »

PeterB wrote: Beetroot and especially beetroot juice, can also have a dramatic effect.. :o
Hi Peter,

Yes, I have heard of that. Incidentally, I actually have four beets in the fridge, so I will be able to see the change in my urine colour quite soon.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Geez, thanks, guys, for sharing your piddlle percularities, but I think we will draw a line at any descriptions of your poops.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ben

Post by Ben »

tiltbillings wrote:Geez, thanks, guys, for sharing your piddlle percularities, but I think we will draw a line at any descriptions of your poop.
Dang! I could detail the effects of probiotics, nuts, dried fruit and wholefoods on my digestive system!
Oh well...

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Ben wrote:Mine is currently a brilliant fluorescent yellow. But that is due to the vitamin supplements I am taking.
Pics or it didn't happen...
Ben

Post by Ben »

Sam Vara wrote:
Ben wrote:Mine is currently a brilliant fluorescent yellow. But that is due to the vitamin supplements I am taking.
Pics or it didn't happen...
Thank you Sam but I think your imagination is more than sufficient!

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Ben wrote:
PeterB wrote: Beetroot and especially beetroot juice, can also have a dramatic effect.. :o
Hi Peter,

Yes, I have heard of that. Incidentally, I actually have four beets in the fridge, so I will be able to see the change in my urine colour quite soon.
For the full , lurid, effect Ben take an antacid, like Rennies, shortly after eating the beets... Ta dah ! Purple Haze !
Last edited by PeterB on Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reflection

Post by reflection »

If your rice can hold 2 liters of water I would consider eating less rice.. and drinking more. I mean, that'd be about 3 kg of cooked rice then if not more. That's insane. So I think you are overestimating how much water is in your rice. Just drink more. I don't see why not.
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

I am not asking this for myself - but for my dog i add lots of water which absorbs in to his food so i am trying to understand how much water he gets -

i guess it should be the same as rice - if i eat rice do i get water with it - does it "count" as water ?