Buddhist Bartender?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Dr. Dukkha

Buddhist Bartender?

Post by Dr. Dukkha »

I love Buddhism and it all makes sense to me, including the fifth precept.
But I don't want to go to school for very long and I want a job that I can enjoy.
Bartending sounds fun, and if I were one, I wouldn't drink unless I was to try new combinations of drinks that I would throw together.
And I really enjoy talking to people and engaging in a little bit of conversation about their lives, because although the average person doesn't care, I'm an attentive listener no matter what they're talking about and I'd love to help out any way I can.
Not much schooling, fun job, if you work on Sunday, you can still watch the football game.
That's at a sports bar, but I would also consider doing both straight and gay clubs.

I kind of want to be a social worker kinda without the years of schooling.
"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting."
Justsit

Re: Buddhist Bartender?

Post by Justsit »

So what I'm hearing is that you want to be happy all the time without having to make any effort or experience anything you don't like.

Good luck with that.

And having been a bartender, I can tell you, it's not all fun. Drunks can be nasty and they puke on you.
PsychedelicSunSet

Post by PsychedelicSunSet »

Selling alcohol is a breach of the 5th precept, and is therefore not recommended. However, I'm not sure if serving the alcohol is the same as selling it.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

PsychedelicSunSet wrote:Selling alcohol is a breach of the 5th precept, and is therefore not recommended. However, I'm not sure if serving the alcohol is the same as selling it.
Having anything to do with it is either breaking the 5th precept or encouraging others to do so and is clearly unskillful at best.
Not recommended.

:namaste:
Kim