Initiation of foreigners?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
teknix

Initiation of foreigners?

Post by teknix »

Say that I want to get out of the country and live somewhere else and go to practice mostly unimpeded? Is there a place you can go to practice and work at the same time? Like a place to work for your living expenses and training that would be accepting of a foreigner? I was thinking of going to Thailand, but the job prospects there are extremely limited to foreigners. I would be happy if I could do some chores to earn my keep and spend my extra time learning and practicing. Is there a place like that anywhere?
Ben

Re: Initiation of foreigners?

Post by Ben »

Many people who attend meditation centres associated with my teacher alternate between sitting on a ten-day residential retreat and serving on courses, and they can do this for months at a time. It might be a solution for you and one that I can recommend.
http://www.dhamma.org
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

teknix wrote:Say that I want to get out of the country and live somewhere else and go to practice mostly unimpeded? Is there a place you can go to practice and work at the same time? Like a place to work for your living expenses and training that would be accepting of a foreigner?
Why not ordain?
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
teknix

Post by teknix »

Ben wrote:Many people who attend meditation centres associated with my teacher alternate between sitting on a ten-day residential retreat and serving on courses, and they can do this for months at a time. It might be a solution for you and one that I can recommend.
kind regards,

Ben
Thank you for this valuable information!
kc2dpt wrote:
teknix wrote:Say that I want to get out of the country and live somewhere else and go to practice mostly unimpeded? Is there a place you can go to practice and work at the same time? Like a place to work for your living expenses and training that would be accepting of a foreigner?
Why not ordain?
How do you mean?
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

teknix wrote:
kc2dpt wrote:
Why not ordain?
How do you mean?
I mean, why not become a monk? Then you can practice mostly unimpeded and have your living expenses covered by the monastery.
- Peter

teknix

Post by teknix »

Ben wrote:Many people who attend meditation centres associated with my teacher alternate between sitting on a ten-day residential retreat and serving on courses, and they can do this for months at a time. It might be a solution for you and one that I can recommend.
kind regards,

Ben
How do you qualify as old student?
teknix

Post by teknix »

kc2dpt wrote: I mean, why not become a monk? Then you can practice mostly unimpeded and have your living expenses covered by the monastery.
I guess I don't know if I would qualify to be a Monk, and I wouldn't know where to go to be a monk if I did qualify.

Also my practices have revolved around mostly internal alchemy of the Taoist and Kundalini sort. (Even though they seem very similar, I do notice some differences.)
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

teknix wrote:my practices have revolved around mostly internal alchemy of the Taoist and Kundalini sort.
I'm confused. Why are you asking this question in a Theravada Buddhist forum?
- Peter

teknix

Post by teknix »

I'm asking here because It's all pretty much the same to me, I am not affiliated with any organization, so one place to meditate would be as good as the next. I'm not biased or particular and I would like to learn more about Buddhism as well.

I don't follow the "beliefs" of any of the practices, I seek the truth in all of them.

Considering Theravada Buddhism has truth then that's what I'm seeking and here for.

Do you think I should conform to only one specific practice?