Faith-based against evidence-based

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Sanjay PS

Re: Faith-based against evidence-based

Post by Sanjay PS »

Learning to swim , only comes by swimming .

Just to keep on debating on the mechanics of swimming , the quality of the water, the positions of different swimmers, and those who have swum across , without ever taking the plunge will always be meaningless .......

may we all avoid such hiccups .

sanjay
The Path of Dhamma

The path of Dhamma is no picnic . It is a strenuous march steeply up the hill . If all the comrades desert you , Walk alone ! Walk alone ! with all the Thrill !!

U S.N. Goenka
Matteo1972

Post by Matteo1972 »

Sanjay PS wrote:Learning to swim , only comes by swimming .

Just to keep on debating on the mechanics of swimming , the quality of the water, the positions of different swimmers, and those who have swum across , without ever taking the plunge will always be meaningless .......

sanjay
More or less what I was saying..
Learning about how arrive to Nirvana only comes with Arriving close to there.

Not about discussions about the eightfold path, the 4 virtues, the 6 causes and the 5 con causes.
Matteo1972

Post by Matteo1972 »

chownah wrote:Is there salvation? How do you know that there is salvation?
And very importantly, salvation from what?
Did you read about it in a book? Did someone tell you that Jesus had given them salvation? Do you have faith in salvation?
If you imagine salvation without you, how would it be?

Also, you have still not answered my questions about your meaning for the Lennon and zen quotes.....I'm interested in how you interpret them.
chownah
I did not understand that Lennon quotes ..

As for salvation, in my head salvation means salvation from fear of death.
As for Jesus, I do not know why you are quoting him, since I have never said I have evidence that he brings to salvation
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

I salute all the respondents... :heart:

A few, in particular, rock!...
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

Since you have no interest in following the path that everyone has followed to reach enlightenment, and only wish to be enlightened, I suggest your plan has a great big zero chance of success (with your current attitude). The principle point of Buddhism is following the path, anyway, not what you get to at the end of the path, thats just a bonus. If you have no interest in the path, then you really have no interest in Buddhism, no ones going to touch you with a genie wand and make you enlightened, a lot of work is involved, and if you don't enjoy the work(or right effort) of following the path, you probably wouldn't enjoy enlightenment either.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
Sanjay PS

Post by Sanjay PS »

Matteo1972 wrote:
Sanjay PS wrote:Learning to swim , only comes by swimming .

sanjay
More or less what I was saying..
Learning about how arrive to Nirvana only comes with Arriving close to there.

Not about discussions about the eightfold path, the 4 virtues, the 6 causes and the 5 con causes.
Gentleman,

You quote " More or less what I was saying " , but by going thus far in all that you have posted , it is clear you that do not want to enter the water , leave aside learning to swim. The Noble Eight Fold Path is trail blazing in its direction and fruits.........and is incomparable due to its quality of here and now , and not after death or some god men waving their magic wands .

Please understand , we all have to learn to let go, to become better in life , thus meeting death happily and knowingly , immaterial whether the death happens in fraction of a second or is a slow painstaking approach. I have much to let go , but realize this clear and present danger. It is difficult for any one to say what is let going , you have to answer that for yourself .

i would request you to let go , when you do finally decide to sit in earnest..........remember , time has no meaning whatsoever ( again repeat whatsoever) , when putting in effort . The two basic qualities , either call it faith based , or science based , are honesty and morality , without this, we will keep running around in circles.........with a complete waste of our time and efforts.

Wishing you the very best in life, and may you become a source of good inspiration to so many others.

sanjay
The Path of Dhamma

The path of Dhamma is no picnic . It is a strenuous march steeply up the hill . If all the comrades desert you , Walk alone ! Walk alone ! with all the Thrill !!

U S.N. Goenka
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Matteo1972 wrote: It looks like Zen and the teachings of Ajahn Chah have something in common
Quite a lot, I think.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

Matteo1972 wrote:As for salvation, in my head salvation means salvation from fear of death.
You didn't reply to my previous post regarding your question. This is important, because if you don't ask the right question, you will not get the right answer.

OK, so you're afraid of death. Perhaps you might want to explore a question such as, "What is it that dies?"

You know, you can go to Thailand, and visit every monastery there, and speak to many wise people, but if you expect to find enlightenment that way, you will be disappointed. All others can do is point fingers at the moon. You have to discover it by yourself. But I'm sure you know that by now.

Best wishes for your trip. May you find what you seek.
:anjali:
chownah

Post by chownah »

Matteo1972 wrote:
chownah wrote:Is there salvation? How do you know that there is salvation?
Did you read about it in a book? Did someone tell you that Jesus had given them salvation? Do you have faith in salvation?

Also, you have still not answered my questions about your meaning for the Lennon and zen quotes.....I'm interested in how you interpret them.
chownah
I did not understand that Lennon quotes ..

As for salvation, in my head salvation means salvation from fear of death.
As for Jesus, I do not know why you are quoting him, since I have never said I have evidence that he brings to salvation
I only mentioned Jesus because the word salvation has such a Christian connotation...and because you said you were Christian many years ago. It could be that your fear of death has it's roots in your catholic upbringing....going to hell and all that makes one fear death even more than the usual fear of death which it seems like most all people have...and especially when the hell fire and brimstone is drummed into a child.

The good news is that if fear of death is your main concern then you need not worry about enlightenment because fear of death can be conquered much more easily than obtaining enlightenment. I think you are already perhaps slightly aware of what can vanquish the fear of death. You have talked about learning about self concept and your zen quote can on one way be seen to be talking about the self concept. I have no doubt (although I'm sure that you will have doubt :jumping: ) that if you do learn about the buddha's teachings about having no doctrine of self then you would be able to overcome fear of death.......without even considering whether you achieve enlightenment. Way before you achieve enlightenment you should be able to overcome the fear of death mostly through cultivating an understanding of the delusional nature of self......and this very same understanding of the delusional self can be extended to take you all the way to enlightenment.....although I'm sure that you doubt it :jumping: .

The idea is that you could start doing a serious study of self/no-self/not-self/no doctrine of self right away as a way to address your fear of death while at the same time keeping your eye open to where there might be a teaching more appropriate for you that is directed toward enlightenment.

Did you know that this very same issue of the I or self which was introduced to you in zen is also central to the Theravada teachings and in fact is important to all branches of Buddhism?..?...at least I think they all include it.

I can not overly state how important having no doctrine of self is to my practice. Not only can it help conquer the fear of death but it also can help on controlling or eliminating anger, greed, etc........and these benefits come way before reaching enlightenment.......I would say that having no doctrine of self would be such a benefit to most people that they would value the Buddha dhamma just for that alone and not even worry about enlightenment.
chownah
P.S. I just saw your mention of "non-existence of the I"........that is exactly what having no doctrine of self is all about.....I think you are on the right track....don't worry about enlightenment.....just go learn about the non-existence of the I as it will assuredly help you on your search for enlightenment too.
chownah
Matteo1972

Post by Matteo1972 »

chownah wrote: I only mentioned Jesus because the word salvation has such a Christian connotation...and because you said you were Christian many years ago. It could be that your fear of death has it's roots in your catholic upbringing....going to hell and all that makes one fear death even more than the usual fear of death which it seems like most all people have...and especially when the hell fire and brimstone is drummed into a child.
Not fear of hell, which is also a big fear, but fear of finishing my existing completely, this is my biggest fear.
chownah wrote:The good news is that if fear of death is your main concern then you need not worry about enlightenment because fear of death can be conquered much more easily than obtaining enlightenment. I think you are already perhaps slightly aware of what can vanquish the fear of death.
There are lots of people who claim to have conquered fear of death, including religious people
Unfortunately, I find their arguments quite unconvincing.
On the other hand, my Zen Master claims that with satori you see that there is no "I" so you have no fear of death, at least for that moment.
This is why I am striving to get satori
chownah wrote: You have talked about learning about self concept and your zen quote can on one way be seen to be talking about the self concept. I have no doubt (although I'm sure that you will have doubt :jumping: ) that if you do learn about the buddha's teachings about having no doctrine of self then you would be able to overcome fear of death.......without even considering whether you achieve enlightenment. Way before you achieve enlightenment you should be able to overcome the fear of death mostly through cultivating an understanding of the delusional nature of self......and this very same understanding of the delusional self can be extended to take you all the way to enlightenment.....although I'm sure that you doubt it :jumping: .
I do not think you can overcome fear of death by a "teaching".
The other day, also, I was thinking that it would actually be good to have death, so if there is an enlightenment, people would be forced to pursue it at least because of fear of death.
Which is more or less my case.
Without death, there probably would be no buddhism and no religions and no look for enlightenment.
chownah wrote:The idea is that you could start doing a serious study of self/no-self/not-self/no doctrine of self right away as a way to address your fear of death while at the same time keeping your eye open to where there might be a teaching more appropriate for you that is directed toward enlightenment.
I do not believe in teachings alone
chownah wrote:Did you know that this very same issue of the I or self which was introduced to you in zen is also central to the Theravada teachings and in fact is important to all branches of Buddhism?..?...at least I think they all include it.
I know, but I am looking for a practical way to get there
chownah wrote:I can not overly state how important having no doctrine of self is to my practice. Not only can it help conquer the fear of death but it also can help on controlling or eliminating anger, greed, etc........and these benefits come way before reaching enlightenment.......I would say that having no doctrine of self would be such a benefit to most people that they would value the Buddha dhamma just for that alone and not even worry about enlightenment.
chownah
P.S. I just saw your mention of "non-existence of the I"........that is exactly what having no doctrine of self is all about.....I think you are on the right track....don't worry about enlightenment.....just go learn about the non-existence of the I as it will assuredly help you on your search for enlightenment too.
chownah
According to my Zen master, understanding that there is no "I" is actually what enlightenment is about.
Matteo1972

Post by Matteo1972 »

Justsit wrote:
Matteo1972 wrote:As for salvation, in my head salvation means salvation from fear of death.
You didn't reply to my previous post regarding your question. This is important, because if you don't ask the right question, you will not get the right answer.

OK, so you're afraid of death. Perhaps you might want to explore a question such as, "What is it that dies?"

You know, you can go to Thailand, and visit every monastery there, and speak to many wise people, but if you expect to find enlightenment that way, you will be disappointed. All others can do is point fingers at the moon. You have to discover it by yourself. But I'm sure you know that by now.

Best wishes for your trip. May you find what you seek.
:anjali:
Is there salvation?
-> Hope so

How do you know that there is salvation?
-> I do not know, I am just looking for it

-> Fear of death, pain, boredom ..

Did you read about it in a book?
-> Actually yes, I first started to think about a salvation from fear of death reading Koestlers` "The invisible writing"

Did someone tell you that Jesus had given them salvation?
-> About 1 billion+ Christians believe that Jesus will save them

Do you have faith in salvation?
-> Well, I have nothing better to do than looking for it in the next 40 years

-> Difficult question

-> I am not in the guessing business :)
Matteo1972

Post by Matteo1972 »

Justsit wrote:Perhaps it would help if you would clearly elucidate what exactly you are seeking?

What question do you want answered?
-> Escape from fear (of death, punishment, ..), pain, boredom ..

-> If there are people, possibly living today, who claim that they have reached this result and what they have suggested for other people to do
Matteo1972

Post by Matteo1972 »

lyndon taylor wrote:Since you have no interest in following the path that everyone has followed to reach enlightenment..
Quite a bold statement!
You are implying that everyone has reached enlightenment, or is in the path to do.

Or maybe you are saying that people who have reached enlightenment have worked on this path?
It would be great then to understand who are such people, since they all died centuries ago or maybe they exist but live in a forest
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

You may find this of interest.
Not written from a Theravadan perspective, but wisdom can be found in many places.
Matteo1972

Post by Matteo1972 »

Justsit wrote:You may find this of interest.
Not written from a Theravadan perspective, but wisdom can be found in many places.
Other places where wisdom can be found:
http://www.amazon.com/I-Am-That-Nisarga ... 0893860468
http://www.amazon.com/ESV-New-Classic-R ... ords=bible
http://www.amazon.com/English-Translati ... ords=koran
http://www.amazon.co.jp/The-Power-Now-S ... 0340733500
and another 10232122 books..

Now, had I ten lives to read them all, would I become one inch wiser?