Athikan

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
Sokehi

Athikan

Post by Sokehi »

I just recently figured that some venerable ones (for example Phra Athikan Kevali at Wat Pah Nanachat) are not or not exclusively called Ajahns, but Athikans. What does that mean? Is it Pali for abbot? I thought there is no such term in pali language.

Thank your for anyone willing and able to clarify this :anjali:
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr
gavesako

Re: Athikan

Post by gavesako »

The Pali term is adhikāra (pronounced "athikan" in Thai) and means something like "manager", or in other words abbot. Normally many abbots in Thailand have other more lofty titles such as Phra Khru, Tan Chao Khun, etc. but in case they don't, they would use Phra Athikan So-and-so instead.
(The term Ajahn is rather informal.)
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
Sokehi

Re: Athikan

Post by Sokehi »

gavesako wrote:The Pali term is adhikāra (pronounced "athikan" in Thai) and means something like "manager", or in other words abbot. Normally many abbots in Thailand have other more lofty titles such as Phra Khru, Tan Chao Khun, etc. but in case they don't, they would use Phra Athikan So-and-so instead.
(The term Ajahn is rather informal.)
Thank you very much Bhante for clarifying this :anjali:
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr