Restrictions on ordination?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
kammatthana

Restrictions on ordination?

Post by kammatthana »

Hi everyone

I have a question concerning restrictions on whether a man can ordain as a Buddhist monk. I recall watching the film 'Amongst White Clouds' recently where a monk spoke about being happy that he had a brother who could look after his parents following ordination as otherwise he would not be able to have become a monk. I'd never heard of this before. Although he was likely coming from a Chinese Mahayana perspective, I am wondering whether there are any rules in Thai Theraveda Buddhism that prevent a man from ordaining if they have parents who are likely to need financial and emotional assistance in old age and for whom he does not have siblings who could shoulder this responsibility.

I ask this question as over the past twelve months I have been seriously considering ordaining. However I have parents who are financially not well off and although not dependent upon me at the moment, I am conflicted between my concern for their future welfare and my wish to ordain which they have expressed their support for in the past.

Thank you for any insight you can provide

Troy
cooran

Re: Restrictions on ordination?

Post by cooran »

Hello Kammatthana,

There have been previous discussions around this - here is one of them:

Monasticism and parental permission
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1243

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
kammatthana

Post by kammatthana »

Hi cooran. That thread answers my question perfectly. Thanks.

With metta

Troy
Yan kong

Post by Yan kong »

kammatthana wrote:I have a question concerning restrictions on whether a man can ordain as a Buddhist monk. I recall watching the film 'Amongst White Clouds' recently where a monk spoke about being happy that he had a brother who could look after his parents following ordination as otherwise he would not be able to have become a monk. I'd never heard of this before. Although he was likely coming from a Chinese Mahayana perspective, I am wondering whether there are any rules in Thai Theraveda Buddhism that prevent a man from ordaining if they have parents who are likely to need financial and emotional assistance in old age and for whom he does not have siblings who could shoulder this responsibility.
I've seen this film. I think this monks comment says more about Chinese society and ones obligation to their parents within that society.