An Apple a Day?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Virgo
Posts: 1209
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:52 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

An Apple a Day?

Postby Virgo » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:15 am

http://www.ucsusa.org/food_and_agriculture/solutions/expand-healthy-food-access/11-trillion-reward.html?utm_source=c2&utm_medium=c2&utm_campaign=c2

It turns out that an apple a day really can keep the doctor away—especially if she's a cardiologist.

According to a 2013 UCS report, The $11 Trillion Dollar Reward, increasing our consumption of fruits and vegetables could save more than 100,000 lives and $17 billion in health care costs from heart disease each year.

And better farm policies, designed to encourage production of healthy food instead of processed junk foods, will help us reap those benefits...

Kevin

dagon
Posts: 297
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:45 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Re: An Apple a Day?

Postby dagon » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:32 am

Yes it could give us more time in this life - but would we use it to try and enjoy or would we use the time wisely?? :thinking:

metta
paul

User avatar
Dhammanando
Posts: 1425
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:44 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6
Location: Wat Pa Mieng Khun Pang, Chiang Mai

Re: An Apple a Day?

Postby Dhammanando » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:38 am

Virgo wrote:It turns out that an apple a day really can keep the doctor away—especially if she's a cardiologist.


But only if you aim it right.

.
an-apple-or-four-a-day-keeps-the-doctor-away1.jpg
an-apple-or-four-a-day-keeps-the-doctor-away1.jpg (97.07 KiB) Viewed 428 times


.
    ...and this thought arose in the mind of the Blessed One:
    “Who lives without reverence lives miserably.”
    Uruvela Sutta, A.ii.20

    It were endless to dispute upon everything that is disputable.
    — William Penn Some Fruits of Solitude,

Virgo
Posts: 1209
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:52 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Re: An Apple a Day?

Postby Virgo » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:01 am

:rofl:

That is the funniest thing I've seen all day. :anjali:

Kevin

User avatar
Ben
Site Admin
Posts: 16345
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001
Location: Land of the sleeping gods
Contact:

Re: An Apple a Day?

Postby Ben » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:46 am

Virgo wrote:http://www.ucsusa.org/food_and_agriculture/solutions/expand-healthy-food-access/11-trillion-reward.html?utm_source=c2&utm_medium=c2&utm_campaign=c2

It turns out that an apple a day really can keep the doctor away—especially if she's a cardiologist.

According to a 2013 UCS report, The $11 Trillion Dollar Reward, increasing our consumption of fruits and vegetables could save more than 100,000 lives and $17 billion in health care costs from heart disease each year.

And better farm policies, designed to encourage production of healthy food instead of processed junk foods, will help us reap those benefits...

Kevin


Indeed!

More Than an Apple a Day: Combating Common Diseases


Eating a variety of fruit has many health benefits including reducing the risk of cancers such as breast, oral, larynx, colon, kidney, and ovarian. Apples may also reduce the risk of heart disease. Apples can be considered a “super fruit,” as they rank high in terms of listed in a past top 12 list in terms of antioxidants per serving and antioxidants per unit cost (comparisons to other foods are made here, here, here, and here). Which apples have the most? See here and here. Apples are an excellent source of phytonutrients (apple juice less so). Even dried apples have been shown to have extraordinary health-promoting benefits. Be cautious of potential fungal toxins in some conventional brands of apple juice and the bruised parts of apples, but there does not appear to be any benzene (unlike carrot juice) or AGEs in it.

-- http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/apples/
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia
e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com

Virgo
Posts: 1209
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:52 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Re: An Apple a Day?

Postby Virgo » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:09 am

Good post.

That guy goes hard in the paint (see the E-7 (chief) at 12:05: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvKAhmgkoj4)

Kevin

User avatar
Ben
Site Admin
Posts: 16345
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001
Location: Land of the sleeping gods
Contact:

Re: An Apple a Day?

Postby Ben » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:47 am

Virgo wrote:Good post.

That guy goes hard in the paint (see the E-7 (chief) at 12:05: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvKAhmgkoj4)

Kevin


Now I am confused...
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia
e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com


Return to “Wellness, Diet & Fitness”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: robertk and 2 guests