The truth about egg yolks?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
cooran

Re: The truth about egg yolks?

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

Having asked Dr. google about recent scientific studies on eggs, I got these results:
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=scien ... ent=safari

Seems the danger is receding?

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the update.
Kindly,
dL
mirco

Post by mirco »

Dear Ben,
Ben wrote:However, there are significant health-related risks associated with egg consumption.
I don't eat much eggs, like 10-15 per year. But that's only by feeling, not because of knowledge.

Out of pure interest, I'd like to kow what the "significant health-related risks associated with egg consumption" may be. Can you help me?

Kind Regards,
Mirco
Ben

Post by Ben »

mirco wrote:Dear Ben,
Ben wrote:However, there are significant health-related risks associated with egg consumption.
I don't eat much eggs, like 10-15 per year. But that's only by feeling, not because of knowledge.

Out of pure interest, I'd like to kow what the "significant health-related risks associated with egg consumption" may be. Can you help me?

Kind Regards,
Mirco
Mirco,

See my posts above and associated links.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

People should stop behaving like headless chickens — worrying about every article on the dangers of different foods, and learn to trust their own experience.

I know, that if I eat a four egg omelette, it will make be feel heavy. However, if I eat one or two eggs, as part of a balanced diet, it has no discernible detrimental effect.

Someone who is working out regularly, could surely eat two eggs every day of the week and suffer no ill effects. There again, a Vegan could surely abstain from eating eggs completely and suffer no ill-effects.

Just follow the Buddha's advice. Be mindful, don't be greedy, meditate regularly to keep the mind free from aggression and craving for delicious tastes. Observe eight precepts on two or four days a month to deepen awareness and insight.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Someone who is working out regularly, could surely eat two eggs every day of the week and suffer no ill effects.
With respect, Bhante, the evidence suggests otherwise.
There is no "worrying". However, I do believe as lay-people, we should be looking after our health so as to maximise our opportunity for practice and to support those who depend on us, and minimise the risk of becoming a burden on others as the result of chronic lifestyle-related diseases.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Sekha

Post by Sekha »

Ben wrote:And lets not forget about the intense suffering of chickens to produce eggs
well, this suffering is caused by the wrong choices of the farm industry, for which we are not responsible, since they can be avoided and it is possible to raise chicken without making them suffer. And also, hens lay eggs whether they are fertilized or not, which means eggs do not necessarily contain life, and there is no breach of the first precept by eating such eggs.

As pointed out by various proponents of non-vegetarianism, the agro-industry kills billions of insects to ensure the crops remain in good shape, so it is not possible to imagine one can consume food that has not been produced while making animals suffer bitterly in the process. All we can do is minimize that suffering as far as it is possible and reasonable.
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mirco

Post by mirco »

mirco wrote:Out of pure interest, I'd like to kow what the "significant health-related risks associated with egg consumption" may be. Can you help me?
Ben wrote:See my posts above and associated links.
Interesting. For me it's hard trusting those modern science doctors.

Ben

Post by Ben »

mirco wrote:
mirco wrote:Out of pure interest, I'd like to kow what the "significant health-related risks associated with egg consumption" may be. Can you help me?
Ben wrote:See my posts above and associated links.
Interesting. For me it's hard trusting those modern science doctors.

No need to follow anyone, Mirco. Just follow the evidence - or the money trail.
kind regards,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Ben wrote:There is no "worrying".
Clearly there is, or you would not be wasting your precious time reading these articles on the "dangers" of eating eggs, and promoting the dubious claims that they are making.

According to Dr Google the "evidence" is contrary to your opinion. You choose to ignore those articles that don't support your current view, and to believe the articles that do. The main problem is egos, not eggs.

Human beings have been eating eggs, fish, poultry, and meat for tens of thousands of years. There is no evidence that a moderate amount of any of these products causes serious health issues. Excess in almost anything can cause health problems. You can die from drinking too much water.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
Ben wrote:There is no "worrying".
Clearly there is, or you would not be wasting your precious time reading these articles on the "dangers" of eating eggs, and promoting the dubious claims that they are making.
Dubious?
With respect, you are not qualified to make that assessment.
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:According to Dr Google the "evidence" is contrary to your opinion. You choose to ignore those articles that don't support your current view, and to believe the articles that do. The main problem is egos, not eggs.
In your opinion.
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Human beings have been eating eggs, fish, poultry, and meat for tens of thousands of years. There is no evidence that a moderate amount of any of these products causes serious health issues. Excess in almost anything can cause health problems. You can die from drinking too much water.
On the contrary, there is.

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Virgo

Post by Virgo »

This nutritionist seems to say that eggs are good for you:

Kevin
Roland

Post by Roland »

Eggs are super healthy for you.

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html

There is no "bad cholesterol", only destroyed and oxidized LDL, a carrier of cholesterol. When LDL receptors are damaged by inflammation and toxins, the LDL cannot be absorbed, so it cycles through the blood until it become oxidized (which is quickened when LDL contains polyunsaturated fats) which turns into a foam which coats arteries with plaque.

Eating eggs, cholesterol or saturated fat does not cause plaque or heart disease. Inflammation and toxins cause LDL to be oxidized which creates plaque.

The ratio of HDL to LDL is a good biomarker, not overall raised cholesterol levels. Cholesterol does not equal HDL or LDL. HDL and LDL are lipoproteins which are carriers of cholesterol from the liver.

Eggs are like multivitamins. Dietary cholesterol is almost irrelevant and healthy when it is absorbed.
"No tree becomes rooted and sturdy unless many a wind assails it. For by its very tossing it tightens its grip and plants its roots more securely; the fragile trees are those that have grown in a sunny valley."

--Seneca the Younger (57 BCE- 65 AD)
mirco

Post by mirco »

Not the first time modern industrial lifestyle messes up what is good by itself.
reflection

Post by reflection »

The internet is full of 'research' on all types of food and they often contradict one another. Of course it depends on context. One might say eggs are healthy because they contain proteins, but if you already get enough proteins from other sources that of course is very relative. So I think it's best to use common sense and listen to your body. I think 1 egg a day may be a bit much for me personally, so overall I keep it lower than that and am thinking of discarding them all together. Proteins are in many plant based products as well.