Health benefits of a wholefoods plant-based diet

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.

Health benefits of a wholefoods plant-based diet

Postby Ben » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:56 am

There appears to be a growing body of clinical evidence of the health promoting benefits of a wholefoods plant-based (vegan) diet. Last night I watched the documentary "Forks over knives":

FORKS OVER KNIVES examines the profound claim that most, if not all, of the degenerative diseases that afflict us can be controlled, or even reversed, by rejecting our present menu of animal-based and processed foods. The major storyline in the film traces the personal journeys of a pair of pioneering yet under-appreciated researchers, Dr. T. Colin Campbell and Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn.

Highly recommended!
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Re: Health benefits of a wholefoods plant-based diet

Postby Jhana4 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:53 am

You can watch this documentary on hulu.com for free ( legally )
http://www.hulu.com/watch/279734
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Jhana4

Postby Derek » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:41 pm

For those of you who appreciate papers from peer-reviewed journals, here's a couple from Dr. David Jenkins of the University of Toronto:

David J. A. Jenkins, MD; Julia M. W. Wong, RD; Cyril W. C. Kendall, PhD; Amin Esfahani, MSc; Vivian W. Y. Ng, RD; Tracy C. K. Leong, BASc; Dorothea A. Faulkner, PhD; Ed Vidgen, BSc; Kathryn A. Greaves, PhD; Gregory Paul, PhD; William Singer, MD. "The Effect of a Plant-Based Low-Carbohydrate ('Eco-Atkins') Diet on Body Weight and Blood Lipid Concentrations in Hyperlipidemic Subjects." Arch. Intern. Med., 2009, vol. 169, no. 11, pp. 1046-1054.

http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article ... eid=415074

Jenkins DJ, Kendall CW, Popovich DG, Vidgen E, Mehling CC, Vuksan V, Ransom TP, Rao AV, Rosenberg-Zand R, Tariq N, Corey P, Jones PJ, Raeini M, Story JA, Furumoto EJ, Illingworth DR, Pappu AS, Connelly PW. "Effect of a very-high-fiber vegetable, fruit, and nut diet on serum lipids and colonic function." Metabolism, 2001 April, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 494-503.

http://www.vegsource.com/nuts/jenkins.pdf
Derek

Postby Mkoll » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:00 am

Friends,

Thank you for the link, Ben. That is a well done documentary and I would also recommend Food, Inc. for those interested in the industrial side of food in addition to nutrition as well. You can rent it online for a few dollars.

In terms of peer reviewed studies, here is a website I have found very informative. It is run by an MD who cites peer-reviewed sources in all of his claims. He advocates a plant-based, whole foods diet with a few select supplements essential to health.

I think that eating what gives one energy rather than tiredness and what one feels good about rather than guilty is important. Food definitely affects one's practice according to the suttas because monks only eat within a prescribed time.

:anjali:

James
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby Ben » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:04 am

Mkoll wrote:Friends,

Thank you for the link, Ben. That is a well done documentary and I would also recommend Food, Inc. for those interested in the industrial side of food in addition to nutrition as well. You can rent it online for a few dollars.

In terms of peer reviewed studies, here is a website I have found very informative. It is run by an MD who cites peer-reviewed sources in all of his claims. He advocates a plant-based, whole foods diet with a few select supplements essential to health.

I think that eating what gives one energy rather than tiredness and what one feels good about rather than guilty is important. Food definitely affects one's practice according to the suttas because monks only eat within a prescribed time.

James

Thanks James.
Nutritionfacts.org is actually my 'go to' source for information on nutrition.
It is a fantastic public service.
kind regards,

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Ben
Site Admin

Postby mirco » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:22 pm

Now, then I want to take up the cudgels for Wolf-Dieter Storl.
His work convinced me of the natural need of a wholefoods plant-based diet.

:bow:
I get what I give
mirco

Postby sphairos » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:38 pm

In order to be a healthy vegetarian you should always be in contact with your doctors - "it is the position of the American Dietetic Association":

"It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes.
The variability of dietary practices among vegetarians makes individual assessment of dietary adequacy essential. In addition to assessing dietary adequacy, food and nutrition professionals can also play key roles in educating vegetarians about sources of specific nutrients, food purchase and preparation, and dietary modifications to meet their needs."

http://www.eatright.org/About/Content.aspx?id=8357
sphairos

Postby Justsit » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:03 pm

Actually, the ADA article mentions consulting food and dietetic professionals - nothing about "doctors." In the US most family doctors know very little about nutrition in general, and even less about how to eat healthily as a vegetarian or vegan. If you are going to spend $ on diet counseling, you will be better off seeing a dietitian or nutritionist, preferably one who is already vegetarian him/herself.

If you eat a balanced vegetarian diet with a variety of REAL foods, avoid the usual culprits, you should be fine. Do your research and use common sense.
Justsit

Postby sphairos » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:05 pm

Dieticians and nutritionist are health care professionals. All health care professionals - at least formally - are doctors/physicians (with an exception to less qualified personnel, like nurses). In most of the world a dietician is in the first place a doctor/physician.
sphairos

Postby Justsit » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:14 pm

sphairos wrote:Dieticians and nutritionist are health care professionals. All health care professionals - at least formally - are doctors/physicians (with an exception to less qualified personnel, like nurses). In most of the world a dietician is in the first place a doctor/physician.

Great, I learned something new!
Definitely not the case in USA.
Justsit

Postby sphairos » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:20 pm

Justsit wrote:
sphairos wrote:Dieticians and nutritionist are health care professionals. All health care professionals - at least formally - are doctors/physicians (with an exception to less qualified personnel, like nurses). In most of the world a dietician is in the first place a doctor/physician.

Great, I learned something new!
Definitely not the case in USA.

Interesting, didn't know that. Anyway: then you should always be in contact with your health care providers.
sphairos

Postby mirco » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:50 pm

Which in the first place qualifies almost all of them not to know a thing about what is healthy.
I get what I give
mirco

Postby sphairos » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:52 pm

mirco wrote:

Which in the first place qualifies almost all of them not to know a thing about what is healthy.

Of course, of course :D
sphairos

Postby Ben » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:30 am

sphairos wrote:In order to be a healthy vegetarian you should always be in contact with your doctors - "it is the position of the American Dietetic Association":

"It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes.
The variability of dietary practices among vegetarians makes individual assessment of dietary adequacy essential. In addition to assessing dietary adequacy, food and nutrition professionals can also play key roles in educating vegetarians about sources of specific nutrients, food purchase and preparation, and dietary modifications to meet their needs."

http://www.eatright.org/About/Content.aspx?id=8357

Ironic, really.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/uprooti ... -of-death/

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/fast-fo ... t-lipitor/

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Postby dagon » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:10 am

Hi Ben and All

I hope that you don’t mind me drifting the thread a bit.

What is your take on the raw food/cooked food debate; benefits and otherwise in relation to vegetarian and vegan diets.

Metta
paul
dagon

Postby Mkoll » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:41 pm

dagon wrote:Hi Ben and All

I hope that you don’t mind me drifting the thread a bit.

What is your take on the raw food/cooked food debate; benefits and otherwise in relation to vegetarian and vegan diets.

Metta
paul

If you don't have any digestive disorders, I would recommend eating a mixture of raw and cooked food. On the one hand, cooking usually degrades nutrients (in most cases; some exceptions are specifically lycopene in tomatoes and beta carotene in carrots are increased when cooked). On the other, cooking makes food easier for the body to digest; imagine trying to eat grains without cooking them! Raw foods contain the full sprectrum of the food's enzymes and the nutrients aren't degraded as when one cooks. However, they can be somewhat hard to digest in some cases; for example, deep leafy green vegetables like kale, collard greens, chard, etc. should be cooked - cooking helps break down the cellulose in the vegetable cell walls. Fruits, nuts, and seeds can be eaten raw. Here's a recent article with a little background on the evolutionary aspect of it.

The Middle Way in all things :smile:

James
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby Ben » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:53 am

dagon wrote:What is your take on the raw food/cooked food debate; benefits and otherwise in relation to vegetarian and vegan diets.

Hi Paul
I try and refrain from most debates.
I like both raw and cooked foods. I love fruit and in the warmer months I'm a big fan of salads. I think the whole nutrient loss through cooking has been overstated to a large degree and nutrient loss can be minimised by cooking method.
What a lot of raw food proponents forget is that there are quite a few nutrients that are not available until foods that they are in have been cooked and cooking can make some foods more palatable - such as onions, potatoes and beans.
The other thing worth mentioning, and this is in relation to vegetarian and omnovore diet is that some nutrients are blocked from absorption when combined with certain other food products. One that comes to mind is case of chocolate. Pure (non-dutch processed) cocoa is very healthful and packed full of phyto-nutrients but many of them are blocked when combined with dairy.
kind regards,

Ben

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Postby dagon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:22 am

Ben wrote:
dagon wrote:What is your take on the raw food/cooked food debate; benefits and otherwise in relation to vegetarian and vegan diets.

Hi Paul
I try and refrain from most debates.
I like both raw and cooked foods. I love fruit and in the warmer months I'm a big fan of salads. I think the whole nutrient loss through cooking has been overstated to a large degree and nutrient loss can be minimised by cooking method.
What a lot of raw food proponents forget is that there are quite a few nutrients that are not available until foods that they are in have been cooked and cooking can make some foods more palatable - such as onions, potatoes and beans.
The other thing worth mentioning, and this is in relation to vegetarian and omnovore diet is that some nutrients are blocked from absorption when combined with certain other food products. One that comes to mind is case of chocolate. Pure (non-dutch processed) cocoa is very healthful and packed full of phyto-nutrients but many of them are blocked when combined with dairy.
kind regards,

Ben

Hi Ben
Thanks for your response - what you said conforms with what i had seen elsewhere, i just wanted to see if i had missed any thing.

Maintain equanimity in the face of some threads is something that i am trying to develop to avoid inflicting suffering on others. :thinking:

metta
paul
dagon

Postby Ben » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:30 am

dagon wrote:Maintain equanimity in the face of some threads is something that i am trying to develop to avoid inflicting suffering on others. :thinking:

And don't forget to also consider the suffering you may be inflicting on yourself!
Anyway, time to return to topic.

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:10 am

Ben wrote:What a lot of raw food proponents forget is that there are quite a few nutrients that are not available until foods that they are in have been cooked and cooking can make some foods more palatable - such as onions, potatoes and beans.

I agree. I eat some fruits and also salads, but the majority of my foods are cooked. I can't imagine eating a raw potato! Some foods probably have to be cooked.

Pure (non-dutch processed) cocoa is very healthful and packed full of phyto-nutrients but many of them are blocked when combined with dairy.

Yes, you can even feel the difference between milk-chocolate and dark-chocolate. I can almost feel it going right to my skin, producing too much oil when I ate milk-chocolate. I eliminated milk-chocolate from my diet years ago and glad I did so.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Next

Return to Wellness, Diet & Fitness