schedule

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
no mike

schedule

Post by no mike »

I may be getting a job that will keep me from getting any productive meditation for each week day (single dad, exhausted, and I fall asleep when I try early AM or later PM). However, my weekends are wide open, and I can devote multiple hours on Saturdays and Sundays.

Wondering if anyone has done this or has any feedback? Can I expect much progress without sitting meditation M-F?

Thank you,

mike

:namaste:
Mkoll

Re: schedule

Post by Mkoll »

Think not lightly of good, saying, "It will not come to me." Drop by drop is the water pot filled. Likewise, the wise man, gathering it little by little, fills himself with good.

-Dhammapada 122 (source)
Enduring patience is the highest austerity.

-Dhammapada 184 (source)

May you be successful in all your spiritual endeavors!
:heart: Metta :heart:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
no mike

Post by no mike »

~ thank you ~

:buddha1:

:heart: :heart: :heart:
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

It could help during the meditation you do get to stop and notice how much better you feel. Also approach meditation as a relaxation exercise where you try to remain aware of where you are. Doing those two things may change your mental reflexes to look at meditation as something refreshing at the end of a long day or inspiring at the start of the day.

If your schedule is full, your schedule is full, but if meditation is a pleasurable, postiive experience you might catch yourself finding time for it.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

Perhaps pack a light lunch each day, and get a few moments of meditation in during your
lunch breaks? I believe daily consistency is more important than occasional power sessions.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
no mike

Post by no mike »

I want to meditate every day. Lately my problem has been staying awake, even when I am not working. Today I kept fighting sleep, it was so bad I had to get up from sitting meditation, and do some mindful tea-making, followed by cold water in my face. I tried again and was making progress until someone knocked at my door.

Which makes me wonder if it's okay to drink tea to help. I thought I read not to. Maybe it was in context of not drinking too much caffeine in general during our daily lives?
Ajisai

Post by Ajisai »

Mike, thank you for posting this thread as I have the same problem now. I can only meditate on my days off and I was asking myself the same questions.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

If tired, try going to bed earlier if this is possible. Since I started going to bed at 10pm, I am able to wake at 4am with little grogginess. Whereas when I went to bed at 11pm, I would want to sleep in until 6am or 7am and I would feel groggy upon awakening. Now that I've made early sleep a habit, the difference is stark.

As they say, "an hour before midnight is worth two after". I've read that it has to do with circadian rhythms and electric lighting. Going to bed earlier is closer to what our ancestors would have done before the advent of electric lighting. Thus, it is more natural and healthier for the body.

EDIT:
Also, see these notes I made summarizing Anguttara Nikaya 7.61 dealing with remedies for drowsiness/dulness.
• AN 7.61: How to remove drowsiness, in order of most to least preferable method
o Don’t attend or concentrate on the object that you were attending to when you became drowsy.
o Ponder, examine, and mentally inspect the Dhamma as you have heard it and learned it.
o Recite in detail the Dhamma as you have heard it and learned it.
o Pull both ears and rub your limbs with your hands.
o Get up, rub your eyes with water, survey all quarters, look up at the constellations and the stars.
o Attend to the perception of light; undertake the perception of day; as by day, so at night…as at night, so by day; develop a mind imbued with luminosity.
o Walk back and forth, perceiving what is behind you and what is in front, with your sense faculties drawn in and your mind collected.
o If all else fails, take a very short nap and get up quickly when done, thinking: ‘I will not be intent on the pleasure of rest, the pleasure of sloth, the pleasure of sleep.’
:anjali:

James
no mike

Post by no mike »

I have been going to sleep by 10:00, but I did make an obvious realization today. Two years ago I used a c-pap machine, but my sleep apnea is not always that bad, and since my recent move I forgot I even get this condition. When it gets bad, I am fatigued all day. The problem is that I have no obvious idea it is getting bad unless I start waking up completely from it. I will try the machine tonight.

I also meditated this morning "before" a big breakfast, and really put the effort into staying awake. I set my timer for 1 hour 15 min, and did very well. That's a first for me. I kept thinking about how the Buddha went into the forest determined not to leave until he achieved enlightenment. I thought the least I could do was 1 hour and fifteen minutes and stay awake :)
no mike

Post by no mike »

oh the c-pap machine, ugh. At least three times I woke up fighting to breath, it was forcing air when I was already filled with air and trying to exhale. Silly device. Scary experience. Had to remove it. The idea is to help me inhale when my breathing passage is blocked. That, too, equally alarming. I guess it's a doctor issue to help me resolve.

I want to add that I just finished some sitting meditation this morning, I was happy to succeed in using mindfulness to catch me at the beginning signs of falling asleep, and snapping back into alertness.
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

A coworker of mine told me there are new cpap machines that are not as big and intrusive. Might be worth a look.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

A monk told me - if you are aware even a second that moment adds up - so if you will be aware one moment each day this moments will add up - of course that would be a slow progress - but for instance if you have two moments of mindfulness in work each day thats good - even if each lasts one second -

the way i see it give your all heart to having more moments of mindfulness - and more meditation time but be happy with what you are doing now - if in the whole week you do 10 minutes of meditation your still advancing - but if you can put 1000 minutes its much better

what about 10 minute meditations ?

also walking meditation is meant to keep you awake - walking meditation before the sitting for the same amount of time - i do insight meditation so its part of it - but i think also people who do samtha meditation have a way of doing walking meditation
no mike

Post by no mike »

Jhana4 wrote:A coworker of mine told me there are new cpap machines that are not as big and intrusive. Might be worth a look.
Thanks, I agree, I better see a doctor. I had been putting it off because I don't have insurance now. My previous employer's insurance let me keep the unit I have. It has a memory card, so a doctor will at least have data to look at. I would like to know more about low-tech dental devices, too. People with sleep apnea use them for camping, etc.
no mike

Post by no mike »

purple planet wrote:... walking meditation is meant to keep you awake - walking meditation before the sitting for the same amount of time - i do insight meditation so its part of it - but i think also people who do samtha meditation have a way of doing walking meditation
Thanks--I just read about how doing walking meditation first before sitting meditation is important, like warming up a car engine instead of just turning the ignition and driving away.
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

But also its important to note that walking meditation except for being good to prevent falling asleep it also is as important as the sitting meditation (at least in "insight" not sure about "samatha") even thought you dont "feel" concentrated its still worth the same as the sitting meditation in building mindfulness