YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

the great vegetarian debate - Page 117 - Dhamma Wheel

the great vegetarian debate

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
clw_uk

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Postby clw_uk » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:50 pm

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:55 pm

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:59 pm

beeblebrox

Postby beeblebrox » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:40 pm

Last edited by beeblebrox on Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:47 pm

"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

Jhana4

Postby Jhana4 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:58 pm

Animals have no choice in killing or how they kill animals. Human beings have that capacity. Human beings also kill far more animals than animals. I think over 8 - 9 billion land animals per year are killed for food. That is more than the human population of the planet. On top of keeping all of those animals alive in torturous conditions (something animals do not do ) in factory farms, that is a LOT of waste and pollution we are generating that is going to come back to haunt us, as well as our children.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:02 pm

BubbaBuddhist

Postby BubbaBuddhist » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:54 pm

Eh, if all the chickens currently in captivity were released tomorrow, there would be a lot of happy dogs, wolves and coyotes. Then no more chickens. They cannot survive in the wild.

In my opinion, being a vegetarian does not eliminate suffering. This is self-congratulatory delusion. All sentient beings are born into suffering. This is the teaching of the Buddha. The only cure for it is to eliminate the roots: delusion, aversion, clinging.

I'm a vegetarian for different reasons. I just think it's in bad taste, not to mention bad manners, to eat other people.

BB
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?

lyndon taylor

Postby lyndon taylor » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:00 pm

One of the root causes for suffering, is causing suffering for other beings, being a vegetarian doesn't remove suffering, but it does reduce it, in some small way.

Also people keep saying we are naturally carnivores, if this was true our nearest physical relative the chimpanzee would be a carnivore too, with forward focusing eyes and teeth like ours, when in fact chimps and other monkeys and apes etc are vegetarian in almost all instances......
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:22 pm

"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

lyndon taylor

Postby lyndon taylor » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:26 pm

You haven't even tried, have you, its very easy to get all your nutrients from a vegetarian diet, vegan is a bit harder, its also very hard to get no negative effects on your health from eating lots of meat.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:29 pm

BubbaBuddhist

Postby BubbaBuddhist » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:12 pm

I do not believe that being a vegetarian reduces suffering. This is faulty understanding of buddhadhamma. Follow please:

It is taught in Theravada that kamma is the single-most factor determining the condition of rebirth (see abhidhamma for blow-by-blow description). Therefore if it is the fruiting of kamma of a being to be reborn in the animal womb, and in addition to be reborn as food, then it will be so. If an increase in vegetarianism reduces the number of animals killed in factory farms, then isn't it likely--according to the teachings--that the animal will be born in the wild, killed and eaten?

I believe so.

I saw on television a nature program showing a baby elephant that had been attacked and partially eaten by hyenas. It was beyond rescue; dying, and one of its eyes had been eaten out. It was a heart-wrenching and piteous sight to witness. Perhaps, I thought, this was the fruiting of a sentient being who had been "saved" from rebirth in a factory farm. I don't know, but I strongly suspect.

This world is hard, unsavory, often terrible.

BB
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:26 pm

Last edited by clw_uk on Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:39 pm

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:45 pm

lyndon taylor

Postby lyndon taylor » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:46 pm

well then enjoy being like a chimp......

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:49 pm

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:51 pm

Last edited by clw_uk on Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:56 pm

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”