COOKIE MONSTER TEACHES MINDFULNESS

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

An example of how meditation becomes integrated into mainstream society in the West without mentioning "Buddhism" at all. It is just a "mindfulness technique" which does not require any religious belief and is supposed to lead to a happier and stress-free life with more enjoyment of everything. Classic Buddhist concepts are translated into a new psychological language, such as "self-regulation" (indriya-samvara, restraint of the senses) which is based on mindfulness (sati).

The fun, incredibly smart writers at Sesame Street have done it again with this adorably funny Cookie Monster video about self-regulation - ”Me Want it (But Me Wait!)”

Cookie Monster, the poster-child for someone needing to master self-regulation skills, attempts to explain these concepts while devising personal strategies on waiting to eat a cookie. A great one, for big and little kids alike!

Me Can Take Deep Breaths

When me lose control

When me have no doubt

Me have strategies

That can calm me down

Me can talk to self

Me can stand up straight

Me can take deep breaths

Me can self-regulate

:popcorn: :rolleye:
VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PnbKL3wuH4

http://glad.is/article/cookie-monster-t ... ndfulness/
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
Jhana4

Re: COOKIE MONSTER TEACHES MINDFULNESS

Post by Jhana4 »

+1
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Thanks for sharing, bhante.

I like what they did with that...

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

gavesako wrote:
Is that where Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction came from? ;)
Buddha save me from new-agers!
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Cookie Monster has been a hero of mine since Sesame St went on the air. Great song as sung by CM, but, of course, I had to listen to the original from whence it came. What an ugly minded piece of trash. Me loves Cookie Monster for making a silk purse from a sow's ear.

>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

I personally think that the Cookie Monster should now be elected as the Pope of the Secular Buddhist movement.

:soap:
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

gavesako wrote:I personally think that the Cookie Monster should now be elected as the Pope of the Secular Buddhist movement.

I would not wish that upon him.

Cookie Monster does advocate mantra practice: Om nom nom nom

>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Can't really vouch for the spiritual value of this one, but it's pretty ace nonetheless...

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

gavesako wrote:I personally think that the Cookie Monster should now be elected as the Pope of the Secular Buddhist movement.

:jumping:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

A lot of people are saying these days that the term "mindfulness" has become stretched out of shape, sort of like what happened to the word "zen". The "cookie monster" never really describes mindfulness, just intentional deep breating ( not watching the breath ) as part of a self regulation exercise and delayal of gratification.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Sense restraint is cool. 8-)

Metta,
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

There is a lot of Mindfulness going around but not all are occasions for rejoicing. Mindfulness is also taught to soldiers so that they become more effective at their work. I suppose a sniper has to be very mindful to make a kill. So if mindfulness is not the context of the Eight Fold Path, is it Right Mindfulness?