Greetings from Bahamas

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
baker

Greetings from Bahamas

Post by baker »

Hi All,
I've been on the path since the end of 2012, but I have been peripherally interested in Eastern spirituality and Buddhism over the years. I've been practising mindlessness in my life before that, so only remember some of the early "sparks" by reading bios here: Hermann Hesse and Siddharta, Thoreau, Gandhi, somebody's audio cassettes of The Bhagavad Gita (could have been 8 track tapes, just to date myself appropriately).
About a year ago I found Free Buddhist Audio (in the UK) and started downloading talks; then I found Dharma Seed in the US; then all the other stuff online ... how lucky are we?!
For quite a while I thought "I'm the only Buddhist on the island" - anyone like British humour? Little Britain "I'm the only gay in the village" (Welsh accent) who is then disappointed when he's not the only one. Well, I'm not unique anymore, I am finding a few Buddhists, but no real community yet. So I am hoping to find community here at Dhamma Wheel.
I am booked for my first retreat "Wise Concentration" at IMS near Barre, MA just before Christmas.
This weekend I took Thursday & Friday off work and "rolled my own" retreat here in my condo, turned off the phone & email & facebook, sign on the door ... the results were mixed ... need a few more practice runs before my IMS retreat I think!
Why Baker? That was my nickname when I was a kid, somehow, and now, well ... my mind's always cooking something up ... oh, wait, my mind is full of half-baked ideas ... ok, there'll be a prize for the funniest reason for Baker being a good nickname for a Buddhist :)
With kind regards.
A sit a day keeps the dukkha away ... should help anyway, I'll give it a try.
mikenz66

Re: Greetings from Bahamas

Post by mikenz66 »

Welcome Baker!

:hello:

:anjali:
Mike
cooran

Post by cooran »

Welcome baker! :group:
Please ask any questions you feel the knead to know ... I'm sure many here will have the skillet to provide answers.

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

We'll whip you into shape and bake you just right, not too raw not too well-done.

:stirthepot:

:embarassed:
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome Baker!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

:hello:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
baker

Post by baker »

Thank you all for the warm, and humorous, welcomes. :thumbsup:
A sit a day keeps the dukkha away ... should help anyway, I'll give it a try.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Welcome Baker. :namaste: