Practicing Dhamma Into the Next Life?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Zenainder

Practicing Dhamma Into the Next Life?

Post by Zenainder »

Good afternoon!

I know that not all here subscribe to the idea of literal rebirth, and that is ok, but for those who do how can a very diligent practitioner who fails to realize liberation in this life be confident that in the next life that the practice will be continued? Is it theorized that the conditioning good dhamma practice will flow into the next life? I understand to "not be concerned with grasping for enlightenment", etc. so please save yourself the time (requested with respect and warm heartedness). I am just curious how this may be understood.

Thanks,

Zen
dhammapal

Re: Practicing Dhamma Into the Next Life?

Post by dhammapal »

Thanissaro Bhikkhu wrote:And what can you take with you? Two things. One is your actions; the other is the qualities of the mind. Traditionally, there are seven treasures you can take with you: conviction, virtue, shame, compunction, learning the Dhamma, generosity, and discernment [§31]. These are inner treasures that can carry over into the next life. Think again of going on a camping trip. One way of keeping your baggage light is by having lots of skills: knowing how to find what you need in the forest, how to forage for food, how to start a fire without matches, how to build a shelter if you don't have a tent. In the same way, by developing these seven inner treasures you take skills with you — skills you can use — and you don't have to load yourself down.

The Canon gives other lists of qualities you can take with you as well, such as the ten perfections: generosity, virtue, renunciation, discernment, persistence, endurance, truth, determination, goodwill, and equanimity.
From: Not-self for Mundane Happiness by Thanissaro Bhikkhu
Also see my Dhamma-Benefits-Future-Lives Yahoo Group

With metta / dhammapal.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Zenainder

Post by Zenainder »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Please see The Five Greatest Rarities, The Simile of the Birds, and The Simile of the Millionaire by Venerable Ledi Sayādaw.
Thank you, Bhante! I read each of them carefully. I particularly found "The Five Great Rarities" very encouraging.

Please look for a PM from me.

Kind regards,

Zen
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

It's best to ask all questions on the forum, unless they need a private response.

To deepen your understanding, then you need to practise meditation intensively, for the entire day without a break. There are various meditation centres where you can undertake longer courses.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)