Buddhism and smoking, what's your thoughts?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Roland

Re: Is there a new "smoking" on the horizon

Postby Roland » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:32 pm

"No tree becomes rooted and sturdy unless many a wind assails it. For by its very tossing it tightens its grip and plants its roots more securely; the fragile trees are those that have grown in a sunny valley."

--Seneca the Younger (57 BCE- 65 AD)

manas

Postby manas » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:33 pm

GM food (Genetically Modified) could end up being more dangerous than alcohol, tobacco and drugs put together. We can give up drugs individually or as a society, but once the gene pool of a plant or animal (used by humans as food) has been polluted by GM, afaik, there is no way to undo it.

We might think GM is safe for now, but in experiments on animals (you won't hear of this much in the mainstream media), it caused sterility in just seven generations, among other health problems.

I do hope we can manage not to utterly trash this biosphere, and ourselves along with it

Metta
Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:36 pm

Mr Man

Postby Mr Man » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:01 pm

SarathW

Postby SarathW » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:17 pm

Nicotine patches! ;)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

GraemeR

Is there a new "smoking" on the horizon

Postby GraemeR » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:25 am

danieLion

Postby danieLion » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:11 am

danieLion

Postby danieLion » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:36 am

Roland

Postby Roland » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:10 am

"No tree becomes rooted and sturdy unless many a wind assails it. For by its very tossing it tightens its grip and plants its roots more securely; the fragile trees are those that have grown in a sunny valley."

--Seneca the Younger (57 BCE- 65 AD)

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:27 am

Always the same smoking by night, aflame by day, for us anthills...

SarathW

Re: Does smoking violate fifth precept?

Postby SarathW » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:38 am

Bhante Pesala
I hole heatedly agree with you. I wrote my article about two years ago.
Then I was under the impression that Sotapanna will not strictly follow the five precepts.
However after joining this forum, I have a better understanding of this.
So it is impossible for me to imagine that Sotapanna person will have any addictions.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

pilgrim

Postby pilgrim » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:55 am

Just for interest sake, I understand that smoking for medicinal purposes is allowed in the vinaya. I can't cite the reference though. Maybe someone with more interest in the subject may be inclined to dig it up.

Jerrod Lopes

Postby Jerrod Lopes » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:06 am

Of course smoking when the vinaya was created is a whole lot different today. The tobacco in many regions that produce it is treated with chemical fertilizers and pesticides that were not available in the Buddha's time. Undoubtedly this changes from place to place, but I know in the US that tobacco, especially for cigarettes, is loaded with added chemicals not naturally found in the tobacco leaf itself. I thought that could be pertinent.

pilgrim

Postby pilgrim » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:20 am

Smoking is practised in a large number of cultures, even tribal ones. In modern and westernised cultures, smoking was considered socially acceptable until maybe a couple of decades ago when its adverse health effects became widely known. Smoking is bad for health, but it is not inherently morally bad so I don't think it violates the 5th Precept. The fifth precept prohibits the use of intoxicants - stuff that clouds the mind to the point that one easily breaks the first four. I think the question is not whether smoking violates the fifth precept but what one smokes that breaks the fifth precept.

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:13 am

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

bradford

Postby bradford » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:46 pm

It might be a punctuation question (in paraphrase)

refrain from using drugs which lead to heedlessness, or
refrain from using drugs, which lead to heedlessness.

I prefer the former, which permits a stimulant like coffee or tea,
and perhaps even entheogens, as these do not conduce to pamada or heedlessness.

I spoze dying from lung cancer could distract one from the work.

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:53 pm

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Jerrod Lopes

Postby Jerrod Lopes » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:26 am

During the Buddha's time and in the region in which he taught, soma was used extensively in the Vedic traditions. It is believed by historians and religious scholars that soma was the plant and the drink both which were very likely ephedra or something very much like it. It was known as a cause for many "heedless" behaviors. The Buddha most certainly would have known about this, especially if he were actually a prince as a lot of the stories say. He would have had occasion to use the drug during rituals being of the ruling caste. Undoubtedly he meant alcohol when he created this precept, but surely he would have included soma as well.

manas

I'm giving up tobacco, permanently

Postby manas » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:00 pm

Greetings Dhamma friends and guests,

I have decided to give up smoking tobacco completely, but will do it in two stages. First I will resolve to smoke only one cigarette per day. Once this becomes easy to deal with, I will contemplate when to take the next step: complete and (hopefully) permanent abandonment of this habit, which honestly I had always intended I would give up one day in any case.

I'm doing this not merely for myself, but also for those dear to me, especially those who love and/or rely on me (such as my children, for example). It begins today. If there are challenges along the way, so be it. I have now finally decided, it is time.

Thanks for reading this. I will use this topic as needed, I don't know how often, it depends on how challenging I find this undertaking. But I will use this topic as a virtual journal of recovery from this unhealthy acquired habit.

manas :anjali:
Last edited by manas on Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

tiltbillings

Re: Tobacco: first cutting back, then abandoning completely

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:06 pm

Good luck.

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”