Anurudha manapa kayika sutta

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
upekha

Anurudha manapa kayika sutta

Post by upekha »

I am trying to find a sutta named Anurudha manapa kayika sutta.Is it possible to let me know in which nikaya it can be found?

Thanks in advance

with metta
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Anurudha manapa kayika sutta

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

It will be hard to trace without the correct spelling.

There are two monks with similar names — Anuruddha and Anurādha.

The Anuruddhasaṃyutta of the Saṃyuttanikāya Mahāvagga doesn't contain any suttas with a name like that.

Do you know what the sutta is about?
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

It's probably a regional name for the second of the two Anuruddha Suttas in the Aṅguttara Nikāya's Aṭṭhakavagga. There is no translation of it at ATI.

AN. iv. 262-6
Gradual Sayings IV. 175-8
Numerical Discourses pp. 1182-5
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Dhammanando wrote:It's probably a regional name for the second of the two Anuruddha Suttas in the Aṅguttara Nikāya's Aṭṭhakavagga. There is no translation of it at ATI.

AN. iv. 262-6
Gradual Sayings IV. 175-8
Numerical Discourses pp. 1182-5
That's surely the right one — it is a discourse to the manāpakāyikā devatā who approached the Venerable Anuruddha.

The regional name would presumably be the "Anuruddhamanāpakāyikāsuttaṃ"
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
upekha

Post by upekha »

Thank you for your responses venerable Sirs.

Yes, there is another sutta about Anuruddha in the Majima Nikaya so I think the one in the Anguttara Nikaya is the correct one. I hope to borrow it from our temple library and read it.

with metta
dagon

Post by dagon »

upekha wrote:Thank you for your responses venerable Sirs.

Yes, there is another sutta about Anuruddha in the Majima Nikaya so I think the one in the Anguttara Nikaya is the correct one. I hope to borrow it from our temple library and read it.

with metta
is this what you are looking for
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

metta
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

I believe the sutta can be found by searching for the string '46 (6) Anuruddha' at this link.
On one occasion the Blessed One was dwelling at Kosambī in Ghosita’s Park. Now on that occasion the Venerable Anuruddha had gone off to pass the day and was in seclusion when a number of agreeable-bodied deities approached him, paid homage to him, stood to one side, and said to him...
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
HumbleThinker

Post by HumbleThinker »

dagon wrote:
upekha wrote:Thank you for your responses venerable Sirs.

with metta
is this what you are looking for
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

metta
Either that or http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html , but most likely the one you posted.
"I know that I know nothing" -Socrates

IOW, take what I say with a grain of salt, for I likely know as little or less than you do.
upekha

Post by upekha »

Hi Dagon, Deverupa and Humble Thinker,

Thanks for the three links. I read them all. The one I was looking for was in the link that Deverupa, you sent.

Thanks once again.

with metta