Does swearing at objects (computers etc.) considers as harsh

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Does swearing at objects (computers etc.) considers as harsh

Post by SarathW »

I recently noticed that I have a habit of swearing at things (computers, phone etc)
:computerproblem:
What is the Buddhist approach to this?
Is this considers as harsh speech?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
dagon

Re: Does swearing at objects (computers etc.) considers as h

Post by dagon »

SarathW wrote:I recently noticed that I have a habit of swearing at things (computers, phone etc)
Do you consider them to be beings, are you causing them suffering?
But you might need to be mindful of those around you in case you case them suffering.
Then there is the consideration of losing control of you mind and habits you may form!

metta
paul
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

SarathW wrote:I recently noticed that I have a habit of swearing at things (computers, phone etc)
Hi Sarath,

What do you mean "approach"? When you swear is there metta at those times? Is there dosa at those times? Is there kusala or akusala, clinging? Just know.

Is the akusala worth it?

Are we clinging to the fact that akusala arose? Do we have dosa concerning it? Should we have more dosa or should we let go?

Kevin
chownah

Post by chownah »

If this happens often for you then I think that you have a great opportunity to see how your anger arises. Train yourself so that when the anger arises to feel the bodily sensations which arise along with the anger. You can probably train yourself to do this by just "oh yeah, anger,,,,what sensations are in my body". After awhile it will become automatic and after a further while you will start to detect the bodily sensations at the same time as the anger arises. Also, whenever you become aware of the bodily sensations and the anger be sure to remind yourself that these feelings are not self but arise from clinging and aversion etc.
chownah
Sunyata

Post by Sunyata »

Yes it is a bit harsh, but everyone gets annoyed sometimes. I think the idea of a perfect life where you never get annoyed is a myth. However, with mindfulness we can acheive quite near perfection.... with just enough imperfection to keep you vigilant. If you find yourself cursing at anyhting uneccessarily, the solution is to correct the error. Sincerely apologize for sending out those crappy vibes in to the world, and move, and stop doing it.

Plus, this may just be my opinion, but I think sometimes people, and objects, or psychological patterns need to be dealt with harshly. Some people will purposely subvert or undermine your reality. They need to be told to back off. This might sound weird, but I think there are also patterns that exist in the world that are also messing with desires to lead the best possible life. Some objects might get in your way to. Maybe I'm crazy, but I think sometimes the universe needs to be told to back off too, and objects might be part of that. Sometimes I can feel my mind wandering in to negative states, and I feel paranoid, as if I can sense bad things potentially happening if I continue on the negative path. But then I send out messages to the world that NO, that bad stuff isn't going to happen. I am dead set in my quest for a better outcome, and I can literally feel the potential negative reality dissipate, and give way to a better one, and I know with certainty that the bad things will not happen.

This way of thinking is something that I am new at though, however I have experineced it. I think everyone should strive to be the master of their own life. Problem is when you're a beginner, I think people tend to misinterpret the signals that the universe sends, and the result is failure and upset. But to live a conscious life you must keep at it. When you get things wrong, it's easy to just give up on the idea that the universe and you are one conscious being, and go back to living a life where whatever happens is just random and either good luck or bad luck. But the truth is the universe is alive, and it is alive within you, intereacting with you every moment. Best to befriend it whenever possible. Yes, believe it or not your computer does sense the vibes you put in to it.... however it senses it through your consciousness. Unconscious things only act as a mirror to how you view them. I'm trying not to view this post as my own intellectul game. It's not easy.

In the past I have done that.... I mean.... I am certain there is truth in what I say, but lately I sense that much of what I have said in the past when it comes to discussion is actually done to affirm my own reality, and not the true reality of the universe. Here's to changing that. :thumbsup:
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

It's also important to realize that until we reach the higher paths and fruits we cannot eradicate harsh speech, or attachment and aversion. Even the sotapanna is not free from harsh speech, although he is free from self-view, silabattaparamasa, etc.

I quote Nina Van Gorkom:
  • "Of the ten kinds of akusala kamma-patha there are four akusala kamma-patha through speech which are: lying, slandering, rude speech and useless talk. The sotapanna has eradicated lying. He can still say unpleasant things about others or use harsh speech, but not to the extent that it would lead to rebirth in a woeful plane. The sotapanna cannot be reborn in a woeful plane any more. Useless talk, which is talk not connected with dana, sila or bhavana, is not eradicated by the sotapanna; it can only be eradicated by the arahat. "
If even the sotapanna hasn't eradicaated harsh speech fully, what about us? While trying to refrain from it, we should keep this in mind, and remember that it is wrong-view, first and foremost that we must eradicate.

Kevin
Doshin

Post by Doshin »

My approach would be "is it skillfull ?". Sometimes one might see it as unskillfull, sometimes one might see it as skillfull.

What/where is "Buddhist approach" ? I see Buddhism as a "tool-box", that gives you the means to reflect on things, and find your own answers/approaches.
SarathW wrote:Is this considers as harsh speech?
Does it originate from anger(/hatred) ?

_/\_
Knowing about dhamma, does not imply knowing dhamma
HumbleThinker

Post by HumbleThinker »

I'm probably weird about this, but I try to treat the objects I own with respect, even going so far as to thank them on occasion. This is not because I think they are alive or inhabited by spirits or anything, but I find that it is good practice for respecting others' things and others as well. In addition, getting mad at them disturbs my mental state almost as much as getting mad at another person, so in that respect I would recommend being nice to your computer instead of swearing at it. Attempt to understand it; it is a machine after all only doing what it is programmed to do, so whatever it is doing that is causing you to choose to become angry has its cause in you or someone/something else. At the very least, it will be a much better use of the feeling that is causing you to become angry than actually getting angry.
"I know that I know nothing" -Socrates

IOW, take what I say with a grain of salt, for I likely know as little or less than you do.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

From MN 20:
Here, bhikkhus, when a bhikkhu is giving attention to some sign, and owing to that sign there arise in him evil unwholesome thoughts connected with desire, with hate, and with delusion, then he should give attention to some other sign connected with what is wholesome ~~ http://palicanon.org/index.php/sutta-pi ... ughts.html ~~
And Ven. Bodhi's note:
MA: When thoughts of sensual desire arise directed towards living beings, the “other sign” is the meditation on foulness (see MN 10.10); when the thoughts are directed to inanimate things, the “other sign” is attention to impermanence. When thoughts of hate arise directed towards living beings, the “other sign” is the meditation on loving-kindness; when they are directed to inanimate things, the “other sign” is attention to the elements (see MN 10.12). The remedy for thoughts connected with delusion is living under a teacher, studying the Dhamma, inquiring into its meaning, listening to the Dhamma, and inquiring into causes.