Books by Venerable Mahāsī Sayādaw

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Books by Venerable Mahāsī Sayādaw

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Added a PDF of Thoughts on the Dhamma and corrected several errors that exist in the BPS edition.

The old site is now fully transferred from aimwell.org to the Mirror site created with WebPlus. I have now deleted the old NetObjects Fusion site from aimwell.org and I am in the process of uploading the new site from WebPlus.

aimwell.org is now up and running again.

There are sure to be some broken links, missing files, and other errors. Let me know if you encounter any problems. You will need to install my Verajja Unicode font, or enable your browser to substitute a suitable font for Latin Extended Additional characters like ḍ ḷ ṃ ṇ ṅ ṭ or you will see lots of rectangles for missing glyphs. I decided that correct Pāḷi spellings are more important for a Buddhist site, than being compatible for everyone. People can always download the PDF versions if they have trouble with fonts.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I have just added another of the Sayādaw's books.

Brahmavihāra Dhamma 238 pp (1.54 Mbyte PDF).

This has been edited more extensively than usual and is now much easier to read (I hope) than the version that is available from Buddhanet, which is basically the same as the original English translation published by the Buddhasāsana Nuggaha Organization in 1985. The printed edition was 340 pp of A5, the Buddhanet PDF is 172 pp of A4.

I think that leaves only one more to do — the Sayādaw's Discourse on the Dhammacakka Sutta, which is also quite a long book.

You can also post here to report any typos or other errors, if you prefer.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Tue May 20, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

A first draft of A Discourse on the Wheel of Dhamma was just uploaded.

This is one of the longest of the Sayādaw's series of discourses, and also an early one, being given in 1962-1963.

A modern edition has been published before in Bangkok, but this is the first modern edition available online as far as I know. I have edited it extensively from the original PDF published in 2002 by Mahāsi.org and hope it is now a lot easier to read.

The HTML page is now more or less complete. As usual, let me know if you find any broken links, typos, or other problems.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I have just published two more short talks by the Venerable Mahāsi Sayādaw.

Practices Evoking Friendship and The Seven Reflections.

These talks were given in 1952, and published together with a much later talk, To Nobbāna via the Noble Eightfold Path, which was translated by the same Translator, U Htin Fatt. I did not include them with that book when I published it, as they were unrelated, and much earlier.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I don't think much has changed to the actual content since the last update, except perhaps for the PDF for A Discourse on the Wheel of Dhamma had some minor typos fixed.

However, the entire site has been updated now using Serif WebPlus X8 to embed the Pāli fonts into the site.

As usual, please let me know if you find any broken links or glaring errors.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I have just updated A Discourse on the Hemavata Sutta.

After updating my Dictionary of Pali Proper Names site, many links in these books were broken and needed updating. No doubt many other publications will need the same treatment when I have time.

I have added an Index with hyperlinks to the PDF version.

The Discourse on the Hemavata Sutta is an excellent book to read if you wish to practice recollection of the Buddha's qualities (Buddhānussati). This tranquillity meditation method is suitable for one of faithful temperament, and to overcome anxiety and fear.
pavanvandaal

Post by pavanvandaal »

Thanks! Wanted to ask whether Thoughts on Dhamma (Wheel 298/300) is worth of reading?
Have found it here http://www.saraniya.com/page/ebooks/ebo ... yadaw.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

pavanvandaal wrote:Thanks! Wanted to ask whether Thoughts on Dhamma (Wheel 298/300) is worth of reading?
Thoughts on Dhamma is also on my website.

Nyanaponoka Thera obviously thought it was worth compiling, and the Buddhist Publication Society thought it was worth publishing. I thought it was worth adding to my site. Only you can decide, after reading it, whether it was worth reading. How valuable you find it depends largely on what you find interesting.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

My free web host has suspended by account for inactivity — I am trying to find out why, but I do know that they had problems with hackers recently, so I had to change all of my passwords. After I had done that it was still online, and I could updated it as usual.

My Website Mirror is still running OK if you need to find any books or references in the Dictionary of Pali Proper Names.
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

All the links, including the Website Mirror, are not working.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

pilgrim wrote:All the links, including the Website Mirror, are not working.
The Website mirror is working just fine for me.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The site is up and running again now. Whatever the problem was, it has been fixed by my host.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I have added A Manual of Insight Meditation (Chapter 1 draft only).

I have done this for my own study. It uses the 1984 translation by U Min Swe so may be quite different to the new translation by Steven Armstrong published by Wisdom Books. Manual of Insight.

I have ordered my copy, so I will be able to compare them soon.
Ruud

Post by Ruud »

Bhante,

Browsing your website I noticed that your last addition (of your draft of the first chapter of Mahasi Sayadaw's 'Manual of Insight') actually links to the PDF of 'Practical Insight Meditation'. I do not know whether this was intentional while you reviewed your draft, but I thought I should let you know.
I would here also like to thank you for all the hard work you put into making all these books and articles available.

:anjali:
Ruud
Dry up what pertains to the past,
do not take up anything to come later.
If you will not grasp in the middle,
you will live at peace.
—Snp.5.11,v.1099 (tr. Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi)

Whatever is will be was. —Ven. Ñānamoli, A Thinkers Notebook, §221