Meditation without an Object.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
mozarttt

Meditation without an Object.

Post by mozarttt »

Hi all!

Lately I've been practising meditation without focusing on an object, I simply do nothing and let my mind do what it wants.
I often find I enter a meditative state where I simply do not think of anything, I simply sit there and experience being in the moment.
Basically I'm practising NO meditation meditation: http://www.emoclear.com/nomeditationmeditation.htm

I know this is a lot like breathing meditation, however, I am not focusing on any particular object and simply doing nothing.
Is this a form of insight meditation as I am simply sitting there with a quiet mind allowing my thoughts/feelings etc.. come and go as they will? The reason im a bit reluctant to think so is because I sometimes experience NO thought. This meditation seems quite beneficial to me and I often would practise it every now and then and go back to breathing meditation.

My question is what do you think of this meditation? Is it viable? Is it meaningless without an object?

I eagerly and thankfully await your replies!

Kind regards,

Mozarttt.
Derek

Re: Meditation without an Object.

Post by Derek »

There's lots of "official" practices similar to that: Dzogchen, Mahamudra, Zen "just sitting" practice (Shikantaza), choiceless awareness, centering prayer.
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

Lately I've been practising meditation without focusing on an object, I simply do nothing and let my mind do what it wants.
You don't let the mind do what it wants. There is an active process going on. It would be a good idea to get a good teacher to check that your practice is right.

Quoting from the referenced site-
You will watch the contents of your mind with open and relaxed attention. Thoughts will come and go within this field of open and relaxed awareness. There is no attempt to get rid of these thoughts or grasp them. You just watch them with the No Intention Intention. Through watching with relaxed and open attention, you will begin to dis-identify with the thoughts, feelings, sensations, and memories that reside there. You make no attempt to do anything other than watch. If you get caught up or identified with what you are watching you will eventually recall that you're watching and spontaneously return to that. With more and more watching, the identifcations become harder to forge. You dis-identify more and more.
I always refer to the sutta to see if the said practice leads to an understanding of the Buddha's instruction.
"So, bhikkhus any kind of form whatever, whether past, future or presently arisen, whether gross or subtle, whether in oneself or external, whether inferior or superior, whether far or near, must with right understanding how it is, be regarded thus: 'This is not mine, this is not I, this is not myself.'

"Any kind of feeling whatever...

"Any kind of perception whatever...

"Any kind of determination whatever...

"Any kind of consciousness whatever, whether past, future or presently arisen, whether gross or subtle, whether in oneself or external, whether inferior or superior, whether far or near must, with right understanding how it is, be regarded thus: 'This is not mine, this is not I, this is not my self.'

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .nymo.html
So do you think it is in keeping with the teachings?
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
Samma

Post by Samma »

I suppose it could be seen as:
And what is the disappearance of form… of feeling… of perception… of fabrications… of consciousness? There is the case where one does not relish, welcome or remain fastened. To what? One does not relish form, welcome it, or remain fastened to it. While one is not relishing form, welcoming it, or remaining fastened to it, one’s delight in form ceases. From the cessation of that delight, clinging ceases. SN 22:5

Interesting that this comes after developing concentration though. That is why you focus on a specific object. Trying to do this without the concatenation I'm not sure of its usefulness. How well are you able to analyze objects and not daydream, EG this thread:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4572
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Perhaps the discussion we had here: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 20#p210963 is relevant.

It's my experience that on a retreat it becomes not so necessary to have a particular object to anchor awareness. But it's not so easy when one's mindfulness and concentration has not been built up by a few days of retreat.

:anjali:
Mike