Placing a flower vase on temple + what should....

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
flick

Placing a flower vase on temple + what should....

Post by flick »

Full topic title:Placing a flower vase on temple + what should I avoid when praying?

Hi guys, I'm a new member here, nice to meet you all
Oh and if I'm posting in wrong section of forum, feel free to move it moderator, sorry for the trouble

Umm I have a few questions here, I hope you guys would kindly help me answer it.

I'm wondering if I'm allowed to place a flower vase with the flowers on a public temple? Should I ask the permission of anyone in the temple?
Coz this afternoon I went to a temple nearby, inside the temple is very quiet,lonely and empty other than 2 people guarding the temple that I saw. Probably because I've never been to small temple before.
So I thought of putting flowers there to make the temple looks better, but there's no vase... and there's no monk also in the temple..
If I can, is there anything that I should take note of prior and after placing the vase?

The next question is, is it considered inappropriate to look at the holy statue's face when praying with incense? (such as kwan im pu sa)
When I pray while looking at shi mien fo (I dunno the official name of the God,but it's the God with 4 faces), I felt sudden fear as if the statue is alive... I started to think I just cursed myself..

Thank you for your time reading my long questions
May Budha Bless you always~
forestmat

Re: Placing a flower vase on temple + what should....

Post by forestmat »

@Flick -

welcome to the forum...

Can't imagine for a minute that anyone is ever going to tell you that you can't make an offering of flowers in a vase at this or any other shrine.

It's a wonderful gesture! I for one rejoice in your merit for wanting to do this.

You don't mention where the temple is, or what lineage/tradition it is - but I'm guessing it's a Chinese temple from what you've written - in which case i can't guide you much - but I always look at the Lord Buddha's face on both my shrines at home and in any temple I visit.

Metta

Matt
Hartridge Buddhist Monastery, Devon, England
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Of course you can look at the face. That's what the statue is for.
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

I was taught at my Therevada temple that you are not supposed to stare at the face of the buddha statues, but to gaze slightly down.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

lyndon taylor wrote:I was taught at my Therevada temple that you are not supposed to stare at the face of the buddha statues, but to gaze slightly down.
In my decades as a Buddhist, this is the 1st time I've heard of this. Likely a cultural thing. What country is the temple from?
dagon

Post by dagon »

I think it is what i would call paying attention and respect at the same time - what i have seen in both Thailand and Burma.
To me it symbolizes the proper attitude when making an offering.

metta
paul
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

Cambodian or Thai-Lao
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

JeffR

Post by JeffR »

I too have always heard and practiced that it is disrespectful to gaze at the face of a Buddha statue.
Therein what are 'six (types of) disrespect'? One dwells without respect, without deference for the Teacher; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Teaching; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Order; one dwells without respect, without deference for the precepts; one dwells without respect, without deference for heedfulness; one dwells without respect, without deference for hospitality. These are six (types of) disrespect.
:Vibh 945
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

As far as I have experienced, in Australia, Thailand, Burma, Sri Lanka, and India - there is no impediment to looking at the face of a Buddha image.

There were no Buddha statues/images for many hundreds of years after the Parinibbana of the Blessed One.

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Some information from Buddhanet about Buddha statues :

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/dha ... /fdd35.htm

pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

lyndon taylor wrote:Cambodian or Thai-Lao
In Thailand, respect for the king is very deep and they have set protocols for how people are supposed to behave towards him. This includes not turning your back to him when one is within a certain distance, keeping one' s head lower, etc. Perhaps this practice could have rubbed off from there. I think there is nothing in the suttas that could have given rise to this custom.
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

I didn't say it was in the suttas, I said it was taught at some temples.

dagon

Post by dagon »

My Thai partner Wai to me with her head slightly forward, the kids incline their heads more. We all Wai to monks, we all incline our heads more when paying respect to the Buddha, his teachings and taking sanctuary in him through a visual representation of him.

We also always try and turn away from Buddha images with our right side to the Buddha.

This will give some context the the customs of how this fits in to SE Asian society. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_greeting

metta

paul
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

dagon wrote:My Thai partner Wai to me with her head slightly forward, the kids incline their heads more. We all Wai to monks, we all incline our heads more when paying respect to the Buddha, his teachings and taking sanctuary in him through a visual representation of him.

We also always try and turn away from Buddha images with our right side to the Buddha.

This will give some context the the customs of how this fits in to SE Asian society. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_greeting

metta

paul
Keeping the Buddha on the right side was a custom practised during the time of the Buddha.

"Knowing the Blessed One's consent, the devotees of Pataligama rose from their seats, respectfully saluted him, and keeping their right sides towards him, departed for the council hall." ~ from Maha Parinibbana sutta

"Then the brahmans & householders of Thullakotthita, having been instructed, urged, roused, & encouraged by the Blessed One's talk on Dhamma, delighted & rejoiced in his words. Rising from their seats, bowing down to him, they left, keeping him on their right." - Ratthapala sutta
dagon

Post by dagon »

pilgrim wrote:
dagon wrote:My Thai partner Wai to me with her head slightly forward, the kids incline their heads more. We all Wai to monks, we all incline our heads more when paying respect to the Buddha, his teachings and taking sanctuary in him through a visual representation of him.

metta

paul
Keeping the Buddha on the right side was a custom practised during the time of the Buddha.

"Knowing the Blessed One's consent, the devotees of Pataligama rose from their seats, respectfully saluted him, and keeping their right sides towards him, departed for the council hall." ~ from Maha Parinibbana sutta

"Then the brahmans & householders of Thullakotthita, having been instructed, urged, roused, & encouraged by the Blessed One's talk on Dhamma, delighted & rejoiced in his words. Rising from their seats, bowing down to him, they left, keeping him on their right." - Ratthapala sutta
Do you know why?