Help please.....quotes to engrave

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
sarah6969pink

Help please.....quotes to engrave

Post by sarah6969pink »

Hi All,
I am purchasing a thank you gift for someone very special to me who is Buddhist, I'd like to engrave a message on it and wondered if anyone could help me out with a nice short quote for engraving, a way of saying thank you or wishing them love/happiness something like that.
Thanks in advance for any help.
daverupa

Re: Help please.....quotes to engrave

Post by daverupa »

They may get more of a charge from one sort of Buddhist quoting, or another. Can you say whether you're aware if they prefer their Buddhism in a Mahayana flavor (China, Japan, Tibet) or a Theravada flavor (Thailand, Sri Lanka, Burma)?
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
sarah6969pink

Post by sarah6969pink »

I think Kadampa buddhism, if that is a type of buddhism?
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

sarah6969pink wrote:I think Kadampa buddhism, if that is a type of buddhism?
Hi Sarah, Kadampa has its roots in Tibetan Vajrayana, so it would probably be a good idea for you to ask for some suitable quotes at Dharma Wheel Mahayana/Vajrayana forum (as Dhamma Wheel is a Theravada Buddhism forum and there can be some differences in teachings)

http://www.dharmawheel.net/

With kind wishes,

Aloka
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Aloka wrote:
sarah6969pink wrote:I think Kadampa buddhism, if that is a type of buddhism?
Hi Sarah, Kadampa has its roots in Tibetan Vajrayana, so it would probably be a good idea for you to ask for some suitable quotes at Dharma Wheel Mahayana/Vajrayana forum (as Dhamma Wheel is a Theravada Buddhism forum and there can be some differences in teachings)

http://www.dharmawheel.net/

With kind wishes,

Aloka
Hmmm, that might not be a good idea. If I understand correctly, that is the New Kadampa Tradition so it won't be a welcomed request at the Mahayana DW.

I'm thinking of ideas, but I have none. Sorry.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

It's not canonical from a Theravada point of view, but since it is a gift, how about:

“Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the single candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.”
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
imagemarie

Post by imagemarie »

Hi

I still have "Eight Steps to Happiness" - by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso on my bookshelf, after many years. And there is much inside to do with generating bodhichitta..

"May everyone be happy,
May everyone be free from misery,
May no one ever be separated from their happiness,
May everyone have equanimity, free from hatred and attachment".

Good call :smile:

You could also check out Je Tsongkhapa, Atisha or Shantideva as sources for your quotation
:anjali:
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Shantideva had some good quotes. IIRC the bodhicharyavatara is in stanzas, dhammapada style.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
chownah

Post by chownah »

sara6969pink,
Engraving a saying on a gift will be very very good if it is the right saying, but really not so good if it is the wrong saying. For example, if someone were to engrave something about "may all beings be happy" on a gift for me they would just be showing me that they do not understand me very well and would not add to the appropriateness of the gift for me.....this is just me. I personally would not use a saying but if this is what you want to do then I suggest that you come up with an idea and then in casual conversation ask your friend that you heard this idea and it sounded something like your friend might be interested in and then watch for how they react when you tell them the saying.....that way you can judge if they like it or not. Also, you might ask your friend what short sayings your friend likes and find something that way.
chownah