Burma’s Muslims driven into the hands of human traffickers

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Kamran

Burma’s Muslims driven into the hands of human traffickers

Post by Kamran »

“A Channel 4 News investigation uncovers secret jungle prisons in a Thai beauty spot, where traffickers deal in the desperation of Burma’s Rohingya Muslims.”

http://youtu.be/B1prYKwdJ68
chownah

Re: Burma’s Muslims driven into the hands of human trafficke

Post by chownah »

I didn't study the video in detail but I did watch it and my impression is that it looks a lot like a bunch of people from Bangladesh have paid some people to find them illegal work in Thailand. Technically this is trafficking in humans but it is with the consent of all involved. Of course I could be wrong but everything I saw was pretty much in line with people looking for illegal employment in Thailand.
chownah
dagon

Post by dagon »

chownah wrote:I didn't study the video in detail but I did watch it and my impression is that it looks a lot like a bunch of people from Bangladesh have paid some people to find them illegal work in Thailand. Technically this is trafficking in humans but it is with the consent of all involved. Of course I could be wrong but everything I saw was pretty much in line with people looking for illegal employment in Thailand.
chownah
i wish it was that simple - even that nice

what the clip was saying that it was showing (i dont know the truth) was that some of those who had fled Burma were being promised a boat ride to Malay for money. What was eventuating was that they were disembarked on Thai Islands and held for ransom until families paid additional money. Those that could not get their families to find the extra money were being sold to work on Thai fishing boats.
chownah

Post by chownah »

dagon wrote:
chownah wrote:I didn't study the video in detail but I did watch it and my impression is that it looks a lot like a bunch of people from Bangladesh have paid some people to find them illegal work in Thailand. Technically this is trafficking in humans but it is with the consent of all involved. Of course I could be wrong but everything I saw was pretty much in line with people looking for illegal employment in Thailand.
chownah
i wish it was that simple - even that nice

what the clip was saying that it was showing (i dont know the truth) was that some of those who had fled Burma were being promised a boat ride to Malay for money. What was eventuating was that they were disembarked on Thai Islands and held for ransom until families paid additional money. Those that could not get their families to find the extra money were being sold to work on Thai fishing boats.
Yeah, I did watch the clip. If I lived in Bangladesh (the video said the boats left from Bangladesh I think, not Burma) and paid someone to find me some illegal work in Thailand I would be sure to have something to say in the event I got caught....something like "I just bought a boat ride to Malaysia and now I'm being held hostage in Thailand." I certainly would NOT say that I paid someone to provide illegal employment in Thailand....that would be admitting breaking the law!
Also, making a video about holding people hostage and human trafficking of Rohingyas right now is a hot item....while people paying someone to find them illegal work in Thailand is really not a very interesting story at all.
But I want to stress that I very well may be wrong.....it is just my general impression that the video seems to be very compatible with people trying to find illegal employment in Thailand.
chownah
koonzaw anyarmyay

Post by koonzaw anyarmyay »

Kamran wrote:“A Channel 4 News investigation uncovers secret jungle prisons in a Thai beauty spot, where traffickers deal in the desperation of Burma’s Rohingya Muslims.”

http://youtu.be/B1prYKwdJ68
There is no Rohingya Muslim ethnic in Myanmar (Burma). They all are one of Bengali ethnic from Bangladesh. They furtively came to Rakhine State ( a state of Myanmar and Rakhine ethnic live) and they cheated to the world that the Rakhine State is belong to Rohingya Muslims.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

koonzaw anyarmyay wrote:There is no Rohingya Muslim ethnic in Myanmar (Burma). They all are one of Bengali ethnic from Bangladesh. They furtively came to Rakhine State ( a state of Myanmar and Rakhine ethnic live) and they cheated to the world that the Rakhine State is belong to Rohingya Muslims.
You need to study some history, and learn some tolerance. Should we send all Myanmars back to Tibet where they migrated from centuries ago?

Every country in the world has immigrant populations. The solution is not to beat them up and send them away, but to treat them as human beings. All human beings have two arms, two legs, a stomach that needs to be filled daily, and a head with a brain that can be used to think wisely or unwisely. Which will it be for you?
Mahāgandhayon Sayādaw wrote:National Solidarity
49. Interracial marriages are necessary for national solidarity among Upper Burma, Lower Burma, Hill Tribes, and Plains people.

Do Good to Those Who Hate You
250. One cannot travel through saṃsāra alone. One needs others to help one make progress. Our Buddha had the villainous Devadatta who formerly murdered the Bodhisatta when he was the hermit Khantivādī, and again when he was Prince Dhammapāla. It would be good to have good associates. You must do no harm to those around you. If they ill-treat you, it is for you to treat them well.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
householder

Post by householder »

Edited: My opinion matters not a jot.
koonzaw anyarmyay

Post by koonzaw anyarmyay »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
koonzaw anyarmyay wrote:There is no Rohingya Muslim ethnic in Myanmar (Burma). They all are one of Bengali ethnic from Bangladesh. They furtively came to Rakhine State ( a state of Myanmar and Rakhine ethnic live) and they cheated to the world that the Rakhine State is belong to Rohingya Muslims.
You need to study some history, and learn some tolerance. Should we send all Myanmars back to Tibet where they migrated from centuries ago?

Every country in the world has immigrant populations. The solution is not to beat them up and send them away, but to treat them as human beings. All human beings have two arms, two legs, a stomach that needs to be filled daily, and a head with a brain that can be used to think wisely or unwisely. Which will it be for you?
49. Interracial marriages are necessary for national solidarity among Upper Burma, Lower Burma, Hill Tribes, and Plains people.

250. One cannot travel through saṃsāra alone. One needs others to help one make progress. Our Buddha had the villainous Devadatta who formerly murdered the Bodhisatta when he was the hermit Khantivādī, and again when he was Prince Dhammapāla. It would be good to have good associates. You must do no harm to those around you. If they ill-treat you, it is for you to treat them well.
I know and accept humanitarianism. But These Bengali immigrant Problem is not humanitarianism problem. They not only furtively came in and trespassed but also they do not want to follow our national laws. They practice and live under Islamic Laws such as Sharia. We cannot allowed to practice sharia law in any region in our land. If they want to live in our country, they must observe our National Laws.

Moreover, There are 135 kinds of natives in Myanmar. But not Rohingya (one kind of Bengali). Over 80% of them are immigrants. In order to humanitarianism and our Citizenship Law, some of them can be Myanmar citizen. But the problems are that they want to be one kind of new native called Rohingya and they want to live under Islamic Sharia Law that is not allowed in our country.

The Arab muslin world support money to Bengali immigrant ( they call Rohingya themselves) through various kind of INGO. They influenced many Media center such as BBC, VOA by using money from Arab world and using humanitarianism or human right. And then they cheat to the world that the Rakhine state belong to them and the are one kind of Myanmar native people called Rohingya.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:

Sadhu,Sadhu,Sadhu
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

NO WAY would they be coming to Thailand looking for work...
dagon

Post by dagon »

koonzaw anyarmyay wrote:
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:

I know and accept humanitarianism. But These Bengali immigrant Problem is not humanitarianism problem. They not only furtively came in and trespassed but also they do not want to follow our national laws. They practice and live under Islamic Laws such as Sharia. We cannot allowed to practice sharia law in any region in our land. If they want to live in our country, they must observe our National Laws.

Moreover, There are 135 kinds of natives in Myanmar. But not Rohingya (one kind of Bengali). Over 80% of them are immigrants. In order to humanitarianism and our Citizenship Law, some of them can be Myanmar citizen. But the problems are that they want to be one kind of new native called Rohingya and they want to live under Islamic Sharia Law that is not allowed in our country.

The Arab muslin world support money to Bengali immigrant ( they call Rohingya themselves) through various kind of INGO. They influenced many Media center such as BBC, VOA by using money from Arab world and using humanitarianism or human right. And then they cheat to the world that the Rakhine state belong to them and the are one kind of Myanmar native people called Rohingya.
As a Buddhist I assume that you recognize that nothing is permanent including political boundaries and the peoples that comprise the population of nations. I am curious to know which citizenship laws you are referring to – 1982 citizenship law maybe – which has since been revoked and the old law brought back.

The generalizations that you have made destroy any credibility to your argument. If you were to stick to facts you would be better able to support an argument. I am not sure how old you are, but I suspect younger than I am. I was in Burma at the time of the military takeover and stayed for a few years after. Yes my friend we were both born in the same country and yes I still have relatives there. Their first acts included taking control of the media, burn the text books and rewrite Burmese history, there may be the source of your problem.

The situation in Myanmar for these people is very complicated and involves political changes, the military and the conduct of BOTH the Buddhist and Muslim populations. While there is no way that any Buddhist can condone killing you may get more of a sympathetic ear from some if you stuck to the facts.