managing ptsd

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
befriend

managing ptsd

Post by befriend »

i was wondering if anyone has tried doing yoga or exercize for post traumatic stress disorder. what yoga poses are helpful for this, and do you think running can cure ptsd? thank you
metta,
befriend
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Jhana4

Re: managing ptsd

Post by Jhana4 »

PTSD is a serious problem. I'm not a psychological expert of any kind, but I don't think it is a do-it-yourself issue you can take care of yourself. Please go see a qualified professional.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Jhana4 wrote:PTSD is a serious problem. I'm not a psychological expert of any kind, but I don't think it is a do-it-yourself issue you can take care of yourself. Please go see a qualified professional.
Seconded.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Being refered by a qualified professional to have Mindfulness Based Cogitive Therapy is said to be helpful for PTSD.
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

Aloka wrote:Being refered by a qualified professional to have Mindfulness Based Cogitive Therapy is said to be helpful for PTSD.
Being refered by a qualified professional would imply a professional assesment that someone would be ready for that and would also likely imply other treatment and other supervision that would make a difference. No disrespect.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

PTSD is a serious psychological/neurological condition caused by exposure to a traumatic event(s). It is treatable, and as other posters have said, it is amenable to treatment with a properly trained medical doctor and/or psychologist with a specific background in PTSD. Meditation and yoga have been found to be effective implements on a broader spectrum of treatments, that may involve Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, medication, MBSR, and other modalities. There are some new studies emerging that show effectiveness in using MDMA in tandem with medical supervision and cognitive therapy.

One site that is interesting is the work that Dr. Richie Davidson at Wisconsin-Madison is doing, involving meditation/MBSR with combat veterans https://vimeo.com/50520623 Dr. Davidson has been coordinating his research with HHDL's MInd and LIfe Institute. There appears to be a strong potential for Buddhist meditation to meet western psychology and medicine in this field of MBSR and PTSD therapies.

No one would recommend treating a broken leg with meditation or yoga, and the same is true of a damaged brain, hurt through trauma. You'd see a qualified doctor. The great news that Dr. Davidson is exploring is that the brain, like bones and tissue, has plasticity...it is malleable, fixable and it heals when proper therapy is given. The news re treatment of PTSD is getting better and brighter every day, but you'll need to connect with a trained clinician to tap into these treatments that are helping people and saving lives.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Just as a PS to my previous post, what is known as ''Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy" here in the UK, as far as I know, is another name for the MBSR mentioned by BuddhaSoup.