Books by Venerable Ledi Sayādaw

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Books by Venerable Ledi Sayādaw

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

You can find a list of his books appended to A Manual of the Path Factors.

Code: Select all

http://www.softerviews.org/AIM/path.html#BooksbyVenerableLediSayādaw
Those marked with † I have translated into English but are in need of editing. A couple are attached above so people can what kind of state they're in. There are links to the published versions. If you know of others available elsewhere, please let me know and I will update the list.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thank you, Bhante, that is excellent.
Some of those works I am not familiar with.
The works I am familiar with are published under the title Manuals of Buddhism/Dhamma. I also have Manual of the Excellent Man and Manual of Nibbana. I'll dig out my electronic copy of Manual of Nibbana and cross reference it against your list as its been awhile since I have read it.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Please check your copy of The Manuals of Dhamma and correct the Wikipedia entry for the list of its contents, which seem to have copied the same error as I have on my site, which was probably copied from elsewhere as I don't have the book now.
  1. Manual of Insight (Vipassanā Dīpanī)
  2. Manual of Conditional Relations (Paṭṭhanuddesa Dīpanī)
  3. Manual of Right Views (Sammādiṭṭhi Dīpanī)
  4. Manual of the Four Noble Truths (Catusaccā Dīpanī)
  5. Manual of the Factors of Enlightenment (Bodhipakkhiya Dīpanī)
  6. Manual of the Constituents of the Path (Maggaṅga Dīpanī)
  7. Five Kinds of Light (Alin Kyan)
  8. 5 Questions on Kamma; Anattanisaṃsā
I think the Manual of Right Views should be Sammādiṭṭhi Dīpanī and not Vipassanā Dīpanī as listed in all online references I could find.

I think the Niyāmi Dīpanī should be there too.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Javi

Post by Javi »

Thank you very much for your hard work Bhante! I am so happy to have the works of this very respected teacher. :bow: :anjali:
Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā — All things decay and disappoint, it is through vigilance that you succeed — Mahāparinibbāna Sutta

Self-taught poverty is a help toward philosophy, for the things which philosophy attempts to teach by reasoning, poverty forces us to practice. — Diogenes of Sinope

I have seen all things that are done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a chase after wind — Ecclesiastes 1.14
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Manuals of Buddhism is a Directory of the Buddhist Manuals written by the Venerable Ledi Sayādaw.

The PDF is attached here too. Let me know if you spot any errors or typos. It was a bit of a rush job.
Attachments
Manuals of Buddhism.pdf
(351.51 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I have added A Manual of the Perfections (Pāramī Dīpanī) to my web site, and updated all of the pages for Venerable Ledi Sayādaw, Mahāsi Sayādaw, and my own books.

This latest addition may be of interest only to scholars. It has been sitting on my various computers for about thirty years, so I thought it was about time it was edited and published.
“About 2,000 students attended the lectures delivered daily by the Venerable Sankyaung Sayādaw. One day the Venerable Sayādaw set in Pāḷi 20 questions on the perfections (pāramī) and asked all the students to answer them. None of them except Bhikkhu Nyāṇa could answer those questions satisfactorily.” He collected all these answers and when he attained 14 Rains (vassa), and while he was still in San-kyaung monastery, he published his first book, A Manual of the Perfections (Pāramī Dīpanī).”
I still have a few more to do: Āhāra Dīpanī, Nibbāna Dīpanī, and a few others.

As usual, please let me know about broken links, and other errors.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I have added A Manual of the Perfections (Pāramī Dīpanī) to my web site, and updated all of the pages for Venerable Ledi Sayādaw, Mahāsi Sayādaw, and my own books.

This latest addition may be of interest only to scholars. It has been sitting on my various computers for about thirty years, so I thought it was about time it was edited and published.
“About 2,000 students attended the lectures delivered daily by the Venerable Sankyaung Sayādaw. One day the Venerable Sayādaw set in Pāḷi 20 questions on the perfections (pāramī) and asked all the students to answer them. None of them except Bhikkhu Nyāṇa could answer those questions satisfactorily.” He collected all these answers and when he attained 14 Rains (vassa), and while he was still in San-kyaung monastery, he published his first book, A Manual of the Perfections (Pāramī Dīpanī).”
I still have a few more to do: Āhāra Dīpanī, Nibbāna Dīpanī, and a few others.

As usual, please let me know about broken links, and other errors.
Thank you, Bhante.
I look forward to reading it.
Kind regards,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Please see the updated post below.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I have managed to recover some old WordPerfect files from floppy disks (they are over 20 years old), and have started editing them in LibreOffice to see if anything is worth publishing.

I will upload more, and update existing files as time allows. If you're interested, visit this folder:

http://www.aimwell.org/LediSayadaw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Browse to http://www.aimwell.org/LediSayadaw/Suttanipata" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and download any of the files there. They are in Open Document *.odt format so should open in OpenOffice or LibreOffice (and Word?)

I have done only preliminary editing thus far to convert some diacritical marks to Unicode encoding, but it's already enough to read them. They use Linux fonts, which you will no doubt have already if you have LibreOffice/OpenOffice. Any good Unicode font would do for reading the Pāḷi.
Thank you, Bhante!
:anjali:

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

coreycook950

Post by coreycook950 »

Thank you very much, Venerable Sir, for this wealth of Dhamma information.

With Gratitude,

Corey
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I am not at all sure who the translator was for the Suttanipāta Commentary, so I have deleted my previous post.

I have now uploaded most of the files that I have. All are in Open Document Format: *.odt for editing in LibreOffice.

I have managed to recover some old WordPerfect files from floppy disks (they are over 20 years old), and have started editing them in LibreOffice to see if anything is worth publishing.

I will update existing files as time allows. If you're interested, visit this folder:

Books by Ledi Sayādaw (and Others) • I will keep this as the root folder, but add subfolders for individual books at later stages.

Browse to Translation of Suttanipāta Commentary

or Translation of Apadāna Commentary

and download any of the files there. They are in Open Document *.odt format so should open in OpenOffice or LibreOffice (and Word?)

I have done only preliminary editing thus far to convert some diacritical marks to Unicode encoding, but it's already enough to read them. They use Linux fonts, which you will no doubt have already if you have LibreOffice/OpenOffice. Any good Unicode font would do for reading the Pāḷi.

I have now uploaded a translation of the Theragāthā Commentary
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I have now uploaded the first draft of the first section of the Suttanipāta Commentary

This part is only my Foreword and the Translator's Preface (total 48 pages). The entire work is about 1,000 pages, and due to the amount of editing required it may never get completed. Every paragraph needs changing to make it readable.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I have just uploaded a first draft of A Manual of Nutriment
The Thinker

Post by The Thinker »

Many thanks :namaste:
"Watch your heart, observe. Be the observer, be the knower, not the condition" Ajahn Sumedho volume5 - The Wheel Of Truth
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Updated with some corrections.

A Manual of Nutriment

The original unedited version is available as a LibreOffice Document.