The Life of a Cambodian Bhante

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
tiltbillings

Re: The Life of a Cambodian Bhante

Post by tiltbillings »

Thanks for the article. I really like the spiffy pockets with zippers on the under robe:

>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Goob

Post by Goob »

Yeah, they're pretty neat. Sounds like he was a nice fella too.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Christ, you know it ain’t easy,
You know how hard it can be,
(John Lennon)
:candle:
Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

It's a bit sad that he had such a rough go of it at some of the Wats where he lived. From some of my Bhikkhu friends I know it can be trying for farang monks to live in Asia. For some, they know the Vinaya and the Dhamma so well that they're shocked to see how some native Asian monks behave. In turn, the native monks won't talk to you or take you out into the community. I get the impression from Ven. Pannavudho's life that he had a hard time keeping quiet when he saw monks acting badly, so in the end he had some difficulty maintaining the support a farang monk needs for stability. If the Wat won't go to bat for you and your visa, it really means one has to start looking for another country to accept you, and that's a tough gig. It would be most unfortunate if he felt he had just come to the end of the line.
LG2V

Post by LG2V »

Thanks for the article. It seems like Ven. Pannavuddho did many good things during his time as a monk.
Here are some excellent sites for giving free Dana (Click-Based Donation):
http://freerice.comhttp://greatergood.com/www.ripple.orgwww.thenonprofits.com
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Why did he not return to stay at a temple in his homeland? Was he wanted by police?
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Why did he not return to stay at a temple in his homeland? Was he wanted by police?
Temples in the Orient, as opposed to temples in the Occident, are, in many respects, worlds apart from one another...
chownah

Post by chownah »

Admirable friendship, admirable companionship, admirable camaraderie is actually the whole of the holy life.
SN44.2
chownah