Suggestions, Comments and Feedback for the Study Group

Where we gather to focus on a single discourse or thematic collection from the Sutta Piṭaka (new selection every two weeks)
octathlon

Re: Suggestions, Comments and Feedback for the Study Group

Post by octathlon »

I recently got this book and haven't started on it yet, so I would be interested in following along with you, although I may not be able to contribute much.
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

I have a small question: how best to study a Sutta posted here? I was trying recently and I realized I was completely wrong in my interpretation here. :anjali:
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Neufing

Re: Study Group Schedule

Post by Neufing »

Hello,

one general question: Is this a life study group? Whan does it start? I'm from Germany; UTC +1 is my time zone.

Thank you so much

Wolfgang
Best wishes
[color=#BF0000][b]Wolfgang [/b] [/color]
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Welcome Nuefing,

The "study group" is not a real-time gathering. It is just a forum where someone (me at the moment) posts a sutta, or related material, each week, and members are free to discuss it. I lock the topics after about two weeks.

If someone would like to discuss a particular sutta, then either let me know, and I can post it, or simply start a thread yourself in the "General Theravada" forum.

:anjali:
Mike
starter

Post by starter »

May I suggest that we study the suttas in a more systematic manner: we select and study all the important suttas concerning one topic and focus on this topic until it's well understood. For instance, we can start with dana, and study one (or more if similar) sutta per week until we finish all the important suttas on dana, and have a relatively complete overview and understanding of dana: what's exactly the "dana" that the Buddha's taught us to do, why it should be done, how it should done, ...

I also suggest that we study the topics systematically according to the sequence of the path/practice. In order to achieve this, an outline of the sequence needs to be made and discussed, for instance:

dana/caga -- sila -- bhavana ... (it should be much more detailed than this).

Please excuse me if similar suggestions have been made, I've to admit I didn't read all the 44 suggestions on this thread.

Metta to all!
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Starter,

That's a good suggestion, in fact it is in line with what we've been doing (though it might not always seem like that). We started back in 2009 going through some of the MN suttas in the sequence that Bhikkhu Bodhi used for his talks on the MN, and his ordering of topics in "In the Buddha's words". http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... =345#p3354

After that, among other things, we worked through the Sutta Nipata. I took over towards the end of that. http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 345#p86854

For the past three years we have been working through the Samyutta Nikaya, using Bhikkhu Bodhi's suggested sequence: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 345#p88300
We have almost finished Part V, which is to do with the fourth Truth. We are now on the last Samyutta, specifically about the Four Noble Truths.

In this time I alternated the SN thematic suttas with other suttas, and left the threads open for two weeks. Sometimes the alternating suttas are in the theme of the SN suttas, as with this week's sutta on the Noble Truths http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18086 Sometimes they are a contrast.

I have SN 56 and other suttas on the Four Noble Truths in my notes for about the next six weeks. That leaves the "minor" chapters that don't fit into Bhikkhu Bodhi's thematic sequence.

My plan is to alternate some of those suttas with suttas from the Anguttara Nikaya, using the thematic sequence that Bhikkhu Bodhi has devised in his new translation:
Numerical Discourses of the Buddha
Thematic Guide PDF

That should keep us going for a while...

Mike
starter

Post by starter »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your clarification and the info on thematic sequence. May I suggest that the theme/topic of a sutta be added to the title so that it's easier to look for the suttas on a topic?

Metta,

Starter
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Starter,

Thank you for the suggestions. I am not sure if it is practical to put themes in titles. I often have trouble fitting the title into the space available. I will continue to post in the schedule thread which theme we are up to though and I'll try to remember to put in links so that the sections can be located.

Mike
starter

Post by starter »

mikenz66 wrote:I am not sure if it is practical to put themes in titles. I often have trouble fitting the title into the space available. ...Mike
I also have such trouble from time to time. I wonder if a bit longer title can be allowed? :thinking: If so, then the title of a sutta can be something like:

4NT(1): MN 141 Saccavibhanga Sutta

It'll greatly facilitate the finding of a group of relevant suttas of interest.

Thanks and metta!
ricebowl

Post by ricebowl »

Tried to search the entire forum regarding the below sutta that took rather long, within the study group section itself it is yet to be introduced as yet

"Samatha Sutta: With Regard to Tranquility" (AN 10.54), translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu. Access to Insight, 21 April 2011, http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html . Retrieved on 27 September 2013.
starter

Post by starter »

Hello Mike,

Thanks for selecting the suttas and your helpful information/analyses. I wonder if it would be better not to lock the threads in the sutta study group, so that comments and discussions can be made at any time about the suttas, which will be more beneficial to our Dhamma study. In addition, it might be better to allow the edition of posted threads in this subforum, to correct errors and etc. for the benefit of the readers. I believe that only serious practitioners will join the discussions.

Just my two cents. With metta,

Starter
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Starter,

Thank you for your suggestions. We have discussed the Study Group among moderators and admins and we have decided to keep it as it is for now.

If you want to comment on a locked post in the Study Group, please start a new thread in the General Theravada section, and include a link to the thread. The moderators may then include a link to that thread in the Study Group thread, and/or modify any mistakes.

If you want to discuss a particular sutta you can either post or PM a suggestion, or else start your own thread in the General Theravada section. We welcome threads the discuss suttas!

Mike
starter

Post by starter »

Hello Mike,

Thanks for considering and discussing my suggestion. Your proposed way can also work.

Metta to all!

Starter
srkatona

Post by srkatona »

I want to post a new note. I am a member. I can't find the place to post a new note. Thanks for any help.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Welcome srkatona,

You can't start new threads in the Study Group forum, but you can make comments on the threads that are not locked. You can start new threads in most other Forums, such as the General Theravada Forum.

Mike