Can Enlightenment Be Self Hypnosis

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
arijitmitter

Re: Can Enlightenment Be Self Hypnosis

Post by arijitmitter »

daverupa wrote:I can see you've got some doubt about the claim of awakening, but the point is to assess the root of suffering for yourself, here and now. All we have to admit about the Buddha, at first, is that he had an experience he thought was worth teaching others about. You can approach and learn about that, or not, but there's no need to chase around historical phantasms.
I understand. At some point a leap of faith is necessary. That is hard for a person who has been trained to think rationally from birth. But with enough persistence there will come a day when I have faith.

This story which you all know is tailor made for me -
Nan-in, a Japanese master during the Meiji era (1868-1912), received a university professor who came to inquire about Zen.

Nan-in served tea. He poured his visitor’s cup full, and then kept on pouring.

The professor watched the overflow until he no longer could restrain himself. “It is overfull. No more will go in!”

“Like this cup,” Nan-in said, “you are full of your own opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?”
I am too full of opinions and speculations. I must empty my cup first.

:namaste: Arijit
3ball

Post by 3ball »

I agree that it's impossible to know for sure that someone IS enlightened. But it's possible to know if someone isn't enlightened! Someone who harms other living beings, fears death and pain, lies, teaches non-dhamma, indulges in sense pleasures. It's not proof positive, but it certainly weeds out anyone I've ever spent lots of time with.
mydoghasfleas

Post by mydoghasfleas »

Would an enlightened person even go around saying "I an enlightened?"

I don't think so. Their actions would speak for them.