Early Buddhism resources

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
ancientbuddhism

Re: Early Buddhism resources

Post by ancientbuddhism »

I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

A Handful of Leaves
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Mauryan India by G. M. Bongard-Levin

First published in Russian in 1973, the author incorporated some scholarly feedback for the 1985 English edition, which I'm in the process of reading.

---

Roughly, the book explores from ~600BCE to ~200BCE, with a broad discussion of surrounding social contexts throughout.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Way~Farer.

Post by Way~Farer. »

daverupa

Post by daverupa »

I've only read the conclusion at this point; very impressive. Pages from my own thoughts, it seemed to me, but more clearly phrased.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

Kare

Post by Kare »

Looks interesting. I ordered the book, and I am looking forward to reading it.
Mettāya,
Kåre
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Jātaka Stories in Theravāda Buddhism: Narrating the Bodhisatta Path, by Naomi Appleton.

Reviewed here.
These few shortcomings, however, do not lessen the overall value and contributions of this well-researched book. Naomi Appleton succeeds in drawing attention to the historical development and the ideology of a distinct and influential genre of Pāli Buddhist literature. She gives with great care and clarity the long-awaited attention that such popular and influential Buddhist texts so richly deserve.
This book was already mentioned a while ago:

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 43#p205877

but I didn't see it in this thread.

piotr

Post by piotr »

Hi, :spy:

I'm searching for Early Buddhism and the Bhagavadgita by Kashi Nath Upadhyaya. If anyone is willing to share it would be much appreciated.
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...
cooran

Post by cooran »

It appears there is no eBook and it has to be purchased through online places like GoogleBooks and Amazon:

http://books.google.com.au/books/about/ ... edir_esc=y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I cannot say I have looked through this whole thread to see if this has already been posted but here is a link to Bhikkhu Analyo's publications which are of great value in learning about early buddhism via comparative study as well as other historical considerations. There is enough material here to keep you busy for days. Anyway, I suggest you take a look.

http://www.buddhismuskunde.uni-hamburg. ... ations.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:namaste:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
Kamran

Post by Kamran »

I can't recommend "The Buddha: the social revolutionary potential of Buddhism" enough.

It makes you really feel as you are walking with the Buddha and you get a strong background in social and historical context including the Buddha's preference for cities and his winning over of kings and rulers.

N0w available as a free PDF from Pariyatti
http://store.pariyatti.org/Buddha-The-- ... _4652.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
piotr

Post by piotr »

Hi,

Does anyone of you has The Pitaka-disclosure (Petakopadesa) translated by Bhikkhu Nanamoli in digital format? :geek:
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Ascetic figures before and in early Buddhism : the emergence of Gautama as the Buddha, by Martin Gerald Wiltshire, 1990.
Our conclusion with respect to the identity of the paccekabuddhas, therefore, is that they are the common ascetic tradition out of which the Sramanic Movements of Buddhism and Jainism emerged as sectarian manifestations. This theory of their identity explains the presence of the concept in both Buddhism and Jainism and accounts for the resemblance of these traditions - doctrinally, ethically and soteriologically.