YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

"The Broken Buddha" by Ven.Dhammika and other scandals - Page 17 - Dhamma Wheel

"The Broken Buddha" by Ven.Dhammika and other scandals

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Ben

Re: "The Broken Buddha" by Ven.Dhammika and other scandals

Postby Ben » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:02 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

binocular

Re: Scandals in the Sangha and the relevance to our practice

Postby binocular » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:28 am

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:56 am

Binocular, many here were saddened at the news coming from Burma. Some actually have connection to the place. I spent only two weeks but there were amazing two weeks and Ben, I believe, has been a number of times.

Some people may have been angry at what they understand to have happened. While anger is not a wholesome response, we are human beings here and I am fairly certain everyone here gets angry on occasion.

I don't recall much ill-will, if any, but this just underscores how different people's perception are. What I do recall is you trying to excuse the events by arguing that the Muslims in Burma were a threat. They may well have been perceived to be a threat, but I am yet to see any evidence that they were. Whenever such events happen, whether in Yugoslavia, Rwanda or indeed to the Jews in Europe, the minority is perceived to be a threat, but that doesn't excuse it. In any case broadbrushing the people and killing innocents is murder plain and simple, nothing there that can be whitewashed or excused, though of course it is understandably human.

So to be frank, I think you got off lightly. What you were putting forward in that thread I found completely off the mark and inappropriate.
_/|\_

cooran

Postby cooran » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:58 am

Well said, Dan.

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

perkele

Postby perkele » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:43 pm

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:49 pm

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:47 pm

Imo nobody wins in conflicts. Everybody wins with harmony though.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

perkele

Postby perkele » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:28 pm

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:18 pm

"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:20 pm

"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

Mr Man

Postby Mr Man » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:33 pm

binocular

Postby binocular » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:48 pm

binocular

Postby binocular » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:53 pm

perkele

Postby perkele » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:37 pm

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:11 pm

"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:41 am

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:45 am

_/|\_

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:44 am

Good on you Dan. :goodpost:

Binocular, it is not fair to project emotions onto people based on how you think they might be feeling. You shouldn't assume that just because someone disagrees with what you've said, even if their disagreement is a very strong disapproval, that this therefore means they're harbouring ill will against you.

Plenty of people here and on the internet in general are in the habit of seeing what they want to see in others posts, instead of asking that person to clarify what it is they're in fact feeling or intending. Projecting doesn't do anyone any good at all.

dagon

Postby dagon » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:19 am

Apologies for the thread drift.

The latest scandal to hit the “press” in Thailand involves about 30 monks who tested positive to drugs. I had consider mentioning it at the time but decided not to given recent forum history.
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/442347/tha ... r-drug-use

However reading the whole of the moderated thread (thanks guys) I believe this story has some value in correcting what I perceive as being an imbalance in what has been written. I am sorry if I offend anyone but there a tone that comes across that the majority of posts that western Buddhists are the guardians of the Dhammar and that the Asian countries are unable or unwilling to act where mundane human behaviors have prevailed over the teachings (as I understand them) of Buddha. The events behind this story show that this is not always the case.

Maybe it is time to highlight the actions that the monastic and secular authorities are taking in the Asian countries rather than focusing of the failings of some monks. A more positive attitude will empower those of good intent whereas a negative will build barriers.

Regards and best wishes to all
paul

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:31 am

A concern I actually have about all these scandals in the news in Thailand is it might futher make Thai laypeople disillusioned with the Sangha. That might result in less support for good honest monks who are not involved in these things simply becase Thai laypeople might become fed up with the scandals and think they can't be bothered supporting monks when they don't know what's going on behind closed doors. That really would be a tragedy for the multitude of virtuous monks, who do not deserve to suffer at the hands of the bad eggs. It's a difficult one, because on the other hand, you can't just hide these things or expect journalists not to publish these stories. One good thing though I think is that the authorities are really pulling their weight in this area of late, and it might in part actually be because of all the negative press forcing them to act. Hard to say really.

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”