Keeping a light on at your home shrine

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
umop_3pisdn

Keeping a light on at your home shrine

Post by umop_3pisdn »

I remember reading the suggestion somewhere that a person keep a small light lit at their shrine (like equivalent to a night light or something) more or less constantly as a sign of respect towards the Buddha. Though now when I try to find a source or any information about that practice I can't find anything. I realize it's pretty silly to get wrapped up in the particularities of ritual or whatever but I worry now that I've mentally associated this with showing respect to the Buddha that in the situation that I don't do it I worry that I will feel disrespectful or something. What do you guys do? Am I being silly for even worrying about this?
perkele

Re: Keeping a light on at your home shrine

Post by perkele »

umop_3pisdn wrote:Am I being silly for even worrying about this?
Yes...
:stirthepot:
But we are all silly in many ways. It's normal.
:candle:

Just think of the Buddha with respect, and there you have respect.
You can check.

:buddha2:
plwk

Post by plwk »

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .vaji.html
At that time the twin sala trees broke out in full bloom, though it was not the season of flowering.
And the blossoms rained upon the body of the Tathagata and dropped and scattered and were strewn upon it in worship of the Tathagata.
And celestial mandarava flowers and heavenly sandalwood powder from the sky rained down upon the body of the Tathagata, and dropped and scattered and were strewn upon it in worship of the Tathagata.
And the sound of heavenly voices and heavenly instruments made music in the air out of reverence for the Tathagata.

And the Blessed One spoke to the Venerable Ananda, saying: "Ananda, the twin sala trees are in full bloom, though it is not the season of flowering.
And the blossoms rain upon the body of the Tathagata and drop and scatter and are strewn upon it in worship of the Tathagata.
And celestial coral flowers and heavenly sandalwood powder from the sky rain down upon the body of the Tathagata, and drop and scatter and are strewn upon it in worship of the Tathagata.
And the sound of heavenly voices and heavenly instruments makes music in the air out of reverence for the Tathagata.

"Yet it is not thus, Ananda, that the Tathagata is respected, venerated, esteemed, worshipped, and honored in the highest degree.
But, Ananda, whatever bhikkhu or bhikkhuni, layman or laywoman, abides by the Dhamma, lives uprightly in the Dhamma, walks in the way of the Dhamma, it is by such a one that the Tathagata is respected, venerated, esteemed, worshipped, and honored in the highest degree.
Therefore, Ananda, thus should you train yourselves: 'We shall abide by the Dhamma, live uprightly in the Dhamma, walk in the way of the Dhamma.'"
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .wlsh.html
He who sees Dhamma, Vakkali, sees me; he who sees me sees Dhamma. Truly seeing Dhamma, one sees me; seeing me one sees Dhamma.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

umop_3pisdn wrote:I remember reading the suggestion somewhere that a person keep a small light lit at their shrine (like equivalent to a night light or something) more or less constantly as a sign of respect towards the Buddha. Though now when I try to find a source or any information about that practice I can't find anything.
I know that as a Christian tradition and wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctuary_lamp - says it comes from (and is still part of) the Jewish faith.
I have never heard of it as part of household practice in Buddhism although lighted candles are a normal part of the offering in temples.
Perhaps you have combined the practices of two religions in your memory?

Kim
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Hi kim
It is quite a household tradition in Sri Lnaka. I started lighting oil lamp for Buddha when I was ten years old and stop only ten years ago!
It became such a habit if I was not at home I would light a match stick at the same time!
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

SarathW wrote:Hi kim
It is quite a household tradition in Sri Lnaka. I started lighting oil lamp for Buddha when I was ten years old and stop only ten years ago!
It became such a habit if I was not at home I would light a match stick at the same time!
Great!
And did your family keep the lamp burning the whole time, or only when they were making offerings?

Kim
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Hi Kim
We light the lamp only for the prayer time. It is a fire hazard.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”