"The Broken Buddha" by Ven.Dhammika and other scandals

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
BlackBird

Re: The Nude Monk's Burning Robes

Postby BlackBird » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:26 am

"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

Nirosh

Postby Nirosh » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:41 am

Rob1980

Postby Rob1980 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:16 am

Hey Nirosh

Thanks for the information. You seem to know far more than most people on this thread about the book.

Do you know whether things have changed at Na Uyana so that is good place to ordain now?

Do you know if any of the book contains any truth, if so, which parts?

Thanks

With metta

Rob
Reviews of Meditation and Yoga retreats as well as Monasteries: https://www.reviewmyretreat.com/"

gavesako

Postby gavesako » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:54 am

Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

- Theravada texts
- Translations and history of Pali texts
- Sutta translations

binocular

Postby binocular » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:03 am

Nirosh

Postby Nirosh » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:42 pm

Nirosh

Postby Nirosh » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:47 pm

Rob1980

Postby Rob1980 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:35 pm

Thank you for sharing that information with us Nirosh. Can I take it then that you disrobed? Are you able to reveal your Pali name when you were a Bhikkhu? You mentioned you were in a previous tradition before, did they have the same problems there too?

What years were you at Na Uyana? Where you there when the book was made public and did they ever manage to find the author of the book?

You mention good monks in Sri Lanka, and I have met some very good and inspiring monks in Sri Lanka too, where would you suggest people who are interested in ordaining to go to in Sri Lanka? Who are good monks to associate with in Sri Lanka?

Perhaps for western layman who interested in meditation, Na Uyana is a good place? As they are not aware of all these underlining problems within the Sangha? Na Uyana, from what I remember, is a huge place, 5000 acres; and there is good facilities there to practice alone in one's kuti?

Thank you for helping clarify things for me.

With metta

Rob
Reviews of Meditation and Yoga retreats as well as Monasteries: https://www.reviewmyretreat.com/"

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:12 am

_/|\_

Nirosh

Postby Nirosh » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:14 am

Nirosh

Postby Nirosh » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:26 am

Rob1980

Postby Rob1980 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:03 am

Thank you for sharing that information with us Nirosh.

I first went to Na Uyana in 2005, and then after visiting other monasteries in Sri Lanka and Thailand decided that Na Uyana was the most conducive place for ordaination. I ordained there from 2007-2011. Other than the incident that you mentioned on P.96 of the book, I didn't have direct evidence of the incidents mentioned in the book. Though I heard a lot of rumours and when the book came out, it wasn't such a shock. It certainly created a lot of paranoia within the community and myself and a close friend were suspected of being involved(of which neither he nor I was) I still find the whole thing rather remarkable that someone/a group could write such an extensive critique on a monastery, It must have taken a huge amount of time and effort. Do you know who wrote the book?

Ven.Ariyananda and the senior monks were always very accommodating and kind to me and the other foreign monks in general. However, as you said, perhaps the motives behind this might not have been as admirable as it seemed, I don't know.

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:56 am

Dear Nirosh, unlike Dan I don't think what you have stated about your negative experiences at Na Uyana is undermined by your responses to Bhante Gavesako, to say so would be logically fallacious. It is clear that there is a lot of wrong doing at play in Na Uyana and I am in debt to you for arriving here and making giving us some clarification that the events detailed in the book are most probably true. It is absolutely disgusting that you were poisoned with sleeping pills and that such a negative experience more or less forced you to disrobe.

I would however caution that perhaps there is a more skillful way to speak to the Venerable Gavesako, since he is both virtuous and accomplished.

with metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

Nirosh

Postby Nirosh » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:03 am

Nirosh

Postby Nirosh » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:13 am

perkele

Postby perkele » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:17 pm

Last edited by perkele on Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.

forestmat

Surin monk accused of B56m fraud

Postby forestmat » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:47 pm

Surin monk accused of B56m fraud:

"Villagers have pressed charges against an abbot and a nun at Pa Sri Pracha monastery in Surin's Sikhoraphum district, accusing them of swindling them of cash and assets totalling 56.6 million baht."

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews ... rs-of-b56m

Although have to ask yourself why its taken 3 years for this to come to light...

"Paweenut Nawongsri, 52, said Phra Baideegasamai asked to borrow her six-baht-weight gold necklace to pawn for cash for the purchase of construction equipment.

She lent it to him because she had faith in the abbot. Three years had past since then and she still she does not have her necklace back."

Rob1980

Postby Rob1980 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:36 pm

Last edited by Rob1980 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:48 pm

Thank you for your kind words Perkele and thank you both Nirosh & Rob for your contributions, I feel vindicated in making the original post because of your supporting anecdotes. I too have witnessed quite a bit of corruption in the Sangha during my time in Sri Lanka, but surely nothing on the scale that you have.

I am utterly disgusted by the actions (murder, poisoning, sexual activities, corruption, misappropriation of funds etc etc) that have been detailed. Thank you for coming forward, it is for the long term good that you have done so.

Eventually it would be nice if the parajika men were to be investigated and forcibly disrobed (given their reluctance to remove themselves from the robes that they have no right to wear), but I know all too well that such an occurrence would be a pipe dream given the permeation of corruption at all levels. It gives me pause for thought in my own intentions to ordain in future, and I shall certainly be much more careful about selecting the right place than I was during my last attempt (in Sri Lanka).

with metta
Jack

Rob1980

Postby Rob1980 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:55 pm

Last edited by Rob1980 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”