YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Should We Neuter or Spay Animals? - Dhamma Wheel

Should We Neuter or Spay Animals?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Kumara

Should We Neuter or Spay Animals?

Postby Kumara » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:35 am

In recent years, I hear people, Buddhists included, encouraging people to neuter or spay animals. Some Buddhist even raise funds for it. What do you all think about this?
I'm not just a monk. I'm a human being. — Sayadaw U Jotika

Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Should We Neuter or Spay Animals?

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:42 am

It is not very kind, but it's a lot better than the alternative, which is to drown cats and puppies as soon as they are born, or round up and kill thousands of strays to prevent the spread of rabies.

Of course, if you don't keep pets then you won't face this dilemma, and the one that comes at the end of an animal's life when it is suffering great pain from some terminal disease and needs to be euthanised.
• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:49 am

If you have ever been to Myanmar you will witness the legions of stray dogs, cats and chickens roaming the streets.
The vast majority of them are starving and diseased.
I think it is far more ethical to neuter an animal than it is to allow it to have litters of offspring which are destroyed or live short, miserable and feral lives.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:58 am

"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:05 am

Last edited by BlackBird on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:08 am

In addition to the nasty, brutish, and short feral lives which await the offspring of urban animals who haven't been spayed or neutered, many animals taken to shelters and later euthanized are the unwanted offspring of family pets. Millions each year in the United States alone.

Overpopulation is a critical issue; beyond spaying and neutering there is no birth control for these animals, only increased suffering and increased mortality numbers. It is an ethical obligation to address this problem on their behalf (cats, dogs, rabbits, pets generally) given that they have thrown in their lot with us.

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:21 am

Jack - I agree with you entirely. I also witnessed similar scenes in Myanmar. Really awful stuff.

Dave - I agree entirely. I believe it is an ethical obligation on us to ensure that domestic animals are neutered.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:32 am

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:51 am

barcsimalsi

Postby barcsimalsi » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:52 am

lyndon taylor

Postby lyndon taylor » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:31 pm

What about neutering and spaying humans, seems like a good idea to me, as long as its voluntary!!!
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:34 pm

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:47 pm

lyndon taylor

Postby lyndon taylor » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:52 pm

18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

manas

Postby manas » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:39 pm

It's a difficult call to make, because in a sense we are infringing on the body of our pet, by having their private parts either removed, snipped or otherwise modified. So in an ultimate sense it's kind of unwholesome, I mean how would we like having that done, without having any say in the matter whatsoever? We wouldn't. Yet as a 'superior species' we have no qualms about imposing this on animals, because they are 'just animals'...

And yet, I can see the problem with so many uncared for litters ending up as starving and diseased strays, etc. So neutering seems like the better of two evils. Maybe the only perfect solution is indeed not to have a pet in the first place.

:anjali:
Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

SarathW

Postby SarathW » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:46 am

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:01 am

SarathW

Postby SarathW » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:23 am

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:58 am

dagon

Postby dagon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:22 am

Return to “Sīla”