YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

"The Broken Buddha" by Ven.Dhammika and other scandals - Page 12 - Dhamma Wheel

"The Broken Buddha" by Ven.Dhammika and other scandals

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
BlackBird

Re: The Nude Monk's Burning Robes

Postby BlackBird » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:30 pm

"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

binocular

Postby binocular » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:04 am

householder

Postby householder » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:17 pm

Haven't read yet, but do any of the allegations top evidence of certain Myanmar monks (ostenibly, at least, they're monks) running around with swords or preaching anti-Muslim hate speech?

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:45 am

"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

binocular

Postby binocular » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:58 pm

EmptyShadow

Postby EmptyShadow » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:28 pm

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:41 am

robertk

Postby robertk » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:07 am

I found the book quite interesting. I guess after almost 30 years travelling in Asia such things are pretty much what I have seen for myself: although I must say it seems rare that others see it .
I remember when I knew the monk Phra Yantra quite well. He was a very friendly monk who I personally liked but I never had any delusions about his supposed 'arahant ' status. I even liked it that I had some reflected shine due to my knowing him.
He was so popular that on holidays one of his temples in kanchanaburi attracted so many pilgrims that the traffic jams built for up to 20 kms away..
then when the sex scandal broke his supporters and the majority of Thailand were in absolute hate against the women who accused him. It took about 2 years before it became clear that they were telling the truth. I was never surprised because he was simply a monk with no special status (IMHO) from what he said to me and from what I could see of his understanding. But for some Buddhist it was like he had taken away their faith in the Dhamma.

Th phrase in the book about "one month in kandabodha, 6 months in the mental institution ' is one I haven't heard for a long time but I think it is good the writer mentions it. So many new Buddhist have very unrealistic desires for attainments that can really screw them up badly. When I was staying at the Godwin Samaratne (sp?) meditation center near Kandy he told me how one of his main jobs is visiting the various mental institutions in the area to counsel the inmates who were there after doing intensive meditation courses. Some of then would shake in fear simply at seeing his white anagarika uniform - which reminded them of their time at the center apparently.
Which is worse : the ones who deludedly think they have made some special progress, or the despairing ones who think they can't make progress? Both of which we see the author mentions in his book. Anyway I think it can help the over confident, the one who wants attainments, to see some of the more obvious pitfalls.

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:28 am

Thank you Robert, I very much enjoyed reading your response.

Mr Man

Postby Mr Man » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:17 am

robertk

Postby robertk » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:47 am

it means i wasn't sure of the spelling. i looked it up and found it is spelt Godwin Samararathne who has actually passed away since I was there. yes thanks the name was Nilambe, a very nice place high on a small mountain surronded by a tea plantation. Idyllic even.
i was there for 3 weeks in 1989
What did you think of it?

edit. i should add in case it wasn't clear that the people who Godwin counseled weren't from Nilambe retreats as far as i know. he took a relaxed style and only had a couple of set sitting periods a day, and those were optional..

Mr Man

Postby Mr Man » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:13 am

robertk

Postby robertk » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:13 pm

nice to know that!
ven Dhammika has been around for a long time, although i never met him.

remembering all this makes me want to go back. i was in sri lanka last year with my wife and she wanted me to take her there but I wanted to spend the time in the ancient temples..

sorry for all the off topic posts everyone.

binocular

Postby binocular » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:47 pm

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:20 pm

Last edited by BlackBird on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

binocular

Postby binocular » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:27 pm

Why did you start this thread?

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:12 pm

binocular

Postby binocular » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:23 am

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:05 am

You still haven't answered the questions. That's twice now you've neglected the opportunity to front up, and chosen instead to ignore my request for an answer.

binocular

Postby binocular » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:20 pm

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”