In defence of smilies

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
manas

In defence of smilies

Post by manas »

Some of even our most respected members here at DW :sage: have related their aversion to the smilies that appear to the right as we type our replies. :x Well I have a confession to make: :embarassed: I like them!!! :thumbsup: They add some colour and fun to the Forum. :woohoo: Or maybe they cater just a bit to the kid in us all. :jumping: But like my youngest child who loves the little characters and their various antics and expressions, I must admit I like the fact that they are there to choose from, in fact I wouldn't mind if even more were added :stirthepot: muahaha

with metta :heart:

manas :pig:

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: In defence of smilies

Post by DNS »

:goodpost: :clap: :toast: :soap: :!:
:meditate:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

The clean, improved version:
manas wrote:Some of even our most respected members here at DW have related their aversion to the smilies that appear to the right as we type our replies. Well I have a confession to make: I like them!!! They add some colour and fun to the Forum. Or maybe they cater just a bit to the kid in us all. But like my youngest child who loves the little characters and their various antics and expressions, I must admit I like the fact that they are there to choose from, in fact I wouldn't mind if even more were added muahaha

with metta

manas
They are visually annoying, though fortunately I have mostly tuned them out.

>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
manas

Post by manas »

David N. Snyder wrote: :goodpost: :clap: :toast: :soap: :!:
:meditate:
Thanks David, I appreciated that! Glad I'm not the only one :D

manas :mrgreen:

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
Last edited by manas on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Improved version:
manas wrote:
David N. Snyder wrote:
Thanks David, I appreciated that! Glad I'm not the only one

manas
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
manas

Post by manas »

tiltbillings wrote:Improved version:
manas wrote:
David N. Snyder wrote:
Thanks David, I appreciated that! Glad I'm not the only one

manas
So Tilt, you really don't see the fun side of them at all? :thinking:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

manas wrote:
So Tilt, you really don't see the fun side of them at all?
Of course. Deleting them in replies is great fun.

BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

tiltbillings wrote:The clean, improved version:
manas wrote:Some of even our most respected members here at DW have related their aversion to the smilies that appear to the right as we type our replies. Well I have a confession to make: I like them!!! They add some colour and fun to the Forum. Or maybe they cater just a bit to the kid in us all. But like my youngest child who loves the little characters and their various antics and expressions, I must admit I like the fact that they are there to choose from, in fact I wouldn't mind if even more were added muahaha

with metta

manas
They are visually annoying, though fortunately I have mostly tuned them out.
You know you can turn them off right Tilt?

For anyone that doesn't know:

Under the User Control Panel -> Board preferences -> Edit display options -> Display smilies as images (OFF)
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
manas

Post by manas »

tiltbillings wrote:
manas wrote:
So Tilt, you really don't see the fun side of them at all?
Of course. Deleting them in replies is great fun.
:lol: Well we all have our particular habitual tendencies, likes and dislikes... :shrug: and even those will go the way of all fabricated things, one day... :sage: but for now, I guess we don't see smilies in the same way Tilt, that's just how it is! :meditate:

kind regards,
manas
:anjali:
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

If you delete the next one, you'll be commiting one of the 5 henious crimes. :buddha1:

Beware! :jumping:
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Ben

Post by Ben »

Smileys?
grim-reaper-1.jpg
grim-reaper-1.jpg (26.3 KiB) Viewed 1253 times
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Ben

Post by Ben »

Ben wrote:Smileys?
grim-reaper-1.jpg

Well that put a stop to the conversation pretty quickly.
Perhaps I'll use that tactic the next time a thread goes off-topic!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

plwk

Post by plwk »

Ahem Ben... Not unless Ceiling Cat intervenes...

My only grouse is there's no smiley for lolcat... :guns:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Plwk

We will have to rectify that omission.
In the meantime, Ceiling Cat better watch out for Merlin.
155036510_m.gif
155036510_m.gif (697.95 KiB) Viewed 1230 times

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

I don't mind the odd one. Usually a :) or a similarly unobtrusive one. When they're absolutely everywhere throughout the post it gets to be a bit much for my liking.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks