The vinaya should be updated

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
clw_uk

The vinaya should be updated

Postby clw_uk » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:32 am

I would like to discuss the vinaya. From my understanding Buddha put the rules of the vinaya in place to restrain the monks and nuns and also to keep the sangha in good standing with the culture at large.

Based on this, in my opinion, the vinaya should be amended to ban smoking and caffeine (including tea). I think this because they are intoxicants that lead one to sensuality and craving. I also think that if Buddha was aware of caffeine and nictonine in his own time he would have banned them under the vinaya.

Leading on from this I think the ban on dwarfs should be lifted as these are no longer subject to serious social stigmata as they used to be.

Thoughts?
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

Ben

Re: The vinaya should be updated

Postby Ben » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:09 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:44 am

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:59 am

• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:16 am

binocular

Postby binocular » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:41 am

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:50 am

I understand the precept as a restraint against anything that will A) cloud judgement and lead to unskilful behaviour, for example getting drunk and being aggressive.

B) consuming anything that increased craving. That would include heroin, cocaine, caffeine, nicotine and even painkillers.

Obviously Buddha didn't know about caffeine and nicotine, or even cocaine and heroin, because he wasnt all knowing but I do believe that if he did know about them he would prohibit them (obviously heroin and cocaine is a given).

If you do a thought experiment can you really imagine Buddha saying its ok to smoke, or using caffeine to stay awake it's skilful?

gavesako

Postby gavesako » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:59 am

A lot of monks seem to be heavy coffee drinkers. I am not, but I find tea useful for staying awake and not falling asleep during evening meditation. This seems to be the long-standing experience of Chinese and Japanese Zen monks as well.
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

- Theravada texts
- Translations and history of Pali texts
- Sutta translations

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:11 am

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:29 am

Respectfully I don't think the Buddha would have banned caffiene. It's not an intoxicant unless taken in excessively high level doses by which point the experience becomes really unpleasant - The average cup of coffee does not inhibit mindfulness. I would argue if anything, a cup of coffee helps promote mindfulness, or at least helps hold sloth and torpor at bay.

But that's just my 2cents.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:04 am

I hope the vinaya is only changed because of very important reasons, and no other. And I consider the ban on dwarfism to be a very important reason. The smoking and caffeine, not so much.
He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

gavesako

Postby gavesako » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:44 am

The Buddha allowed various parts of plants such as leaves and roots and resins to be used as bhesajja (medicine) and even consumed in the afternoon. I suppose he followed the Ayurveda of his time and the advice of physicians like Jivaka on what is suitable and what is not. So these days we could certainly adapt some of this knowledge in accordance with modern research (such as on the effects of tobbaco). I can't tell from personal experience what the effect of speed or other substances is on the human mind, but one important factor in making decisions here is the public opinion. Whatever is objected to by the society at large and would be seen as a fault in the eyes of the world (loka-vajja) would not be suitable for a bhikkhu.
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

- Theravada texts
- Translations and history of Pali texts
- Sutta translations

lyndon taylor

Postby lyndon taylor » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:59 pm

I would guess, there was plenty of tea of some kind was available in India in the Buddha's time and I would assume some of that tea contained caffeine, doesn't the highest grade tea come from India. For instance, green tea, I believe, contains some caffeine, just not as much. Lots of plants naturally contain caffeine not just black tea or green tea.

Well according to wikepedia, tea as we know it was introduced to India from China in the early 1800s; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_tea
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

binocular

Postby binocular » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:19 pm

binocular

Postby binocular » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:22 pm

Coyote

Postby Coyote » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:01 pm

"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:45 pm

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”