5 hour retreat

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
befriend

5 hour retreat

Post by befriend »

how do i do a 5 hour vipassana mahasi sayadaw style retreat. i know i switch postures, but am not sure if i switch them after 20 minutes or 30 minutes.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
purple planet

Re: 5 hour retreat

Post by purple planet »

Do the same amount of time walking and the same amount of time sitting - so if you want to do 5 hours (extremly hard but if you think you can - :twothumbsup: ) it will be 2.5 hours walking 2.5 hours sitting which you can cut to different meditation segments however you think is right you can do 20 walking 20 sitting - or 30 +30 or start with 10+10 then move to 20+20 and if gets hard do 10+10

that way you balance restlessness and sleepiness
Last edited by purple planet on Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: 5 hour retreat

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The standard practice in Mahāsī Yeikthā is 1 hour walking, 1 hour sitting.

Walk first, then sit. If you cannot sit for a full hour, you can probably walk for a full hour without difficulty. So walk, then sit as long as you can. When it gets too painful, change your posture once, but not more than once, then get up and walk again. If you feel sleepy, get up and walk. If the legs feel stiff after walking for a full hour, you're doing it right.

The Benefits of Walking MeditationWalking Meditation
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)